Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64454
Latest: migSlope
New This Month: 323
New This Week: 84
New Today: 12
Stats
Total Posts: 76554
Total Topics: 22109
Most Online Today: 1445
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 1007
Total: 1022
FrankJScott
Allapce
EdithSoure
Kyliebob
Robxsa
Google (AdSense)
Google (9)

Author Topic: SLO Launcher  (Read 7150 times)

Offline Fayte

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Fayte has no influence.
  • Shinobi Origins Lead Dev
    • View Profile
    • Ayphix Entertainment LLC
SLO Launcher
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:00:28 »
Hey, I heard from a few people Vreg said that he didn't have the time to make a launcher and with google chrome dropping NPAPI recently people cant play the UnityPlayer Game (You still have to have the WebPlayer installed). He said it would take up too much time away from SLO development. So I took about 20 minutes to throw together this simple Launcher, it will allow you to play the UnityPlayer game from inside the launcher without worrying about the NPAPI thing. I have a lot of experience with things like this, if Vreg wants to make a page for the news on the side let me know and I will point the news to that page. It also takes you to the site so the ads still support SLO while you play so it's win-win :) .

When you download it (if through chrome) it will tell you it's not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous it's just because not many people have gotten it yet (it's new right?) you can click the down arrow next to "Discard" and then click keep.

Once you login on your account you will stay logged in. (I should note it's not the launcher asking for you username/password it's the SLO site which is embedded in the launcher)

As proof here is the game running on the launcher (you can full-screen it). I don't have the ability to make it pop up in a separate window or I would (ask Vreg to embed it in it's own page)

You can get it here: www.ayphix.com/software/slolauncher.exe
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:04:32 by Fayte »

• Character Name: Fayte

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
Re: SLO Launcher
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:08:23 »
Wow Fayte, thanks a lot :D
Works fine, @Vreg you should make a news page to help keep news updated :P
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline StrawHatSeyi

• Genin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • StrawHatSeyi has no influence.
  • You don't want no smoke
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:22:44 »
Thanks Fayte. Really Cool thing you did there :)
  • Character Name: Tenzo Himitsu

Offline Fayte

• Academy Student Poster
  • Fayte has no influence.
  • Shinobi Origins Lead Dev
    • View Profile
    • Ayphix Entertainment LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:27:32 »
Thanks Fayte. Really Cool thing you did there :)
No problem :) I just hope people get some mileage out of it, didn't take me that long to write and it if it means people can get enjoyment out of it. Job well done.
  • Character Name: Fayte

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:00:31 »
Takes too much time away from slo development, and Fayte kills it in 20 minutes.
Fayte2OP

Nice job buddy!
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:22:25 »
This is not really a launcher, I could've made something like this in less than 20 mins.

The launcher I was talking about was one for SLO standalone with an autoupdater and a neat news system. Getting this done right would take more than 20 mins, but it's not a lot of work regardless. The reason why we're not getting this is because running SLO on the web is the best choice under current circumstances.

I haven't downloaded that so I'm going to speculate that you used GeckoFX in a .NET application to get that done? At least that's how I would do it. This goes against what people asked for, they asked for standalone, not an embedded webbrowser that defaults to shinobilifeobline.com. For multitude of reasons, it's better and safer to let people download Firefox instead.
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Mariusik

• Chunin Poster
  • Mariusik has no influence.
  • I'm not afraid by an army of lions rulled by a cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:38:07 »
I smell some envy.
  • Character Name: RomanashuLeRoux

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 12:53:30 »
This is not really a launcher, I could've made something like this in less than 20 mins.

The launcher I was talking about was one for SLO standalone with an autoupdater and a neat news system. Getting this done right would take more than 20 mins, but it's not a lot of work regardless. The reason why we're not getting this is because running SLO on the web is the best choice under current circumstances.

I haven't downloaded that so I'm going to speculate that you used GeckoFX in a .NET application to get that done? At least that's how I would do it. This goes against what people asked for, they asked for standalone, not an embedded webbrowser that defaults to shinobilifeobline.com. For multitude of reasons, it's better and safer to let people download Firefox instead.
I see, will this launcher be out before or after deathmatch?

Offline Saitou

• Community Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Saitou has no influence.
  • Shoot dem questions !
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Hakuna Matata
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 13:56:12 »
I smell some envy.

Envy ? of what exactly ? And why do I feel that the very same group from another forum and another game always feel the need to pay our forum a visit every now and then ? How dead is it there to give you the need to come here and post a negative unnecessary remark ?
  • Character Name: Saitou

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 14:21:15 »
Dead? No. SR is releasing their DM very soon.. We heard Fayte did a nice thing for SLO so we came to check it out and give it a whirl as he wanted to help SLO get back on its feet. Then Vreg kinda slandered Faytes gift to SLO after the community has said they like it. If the community like it over Firefox, shouldn't that be a good thing? I don't understand why SLO staff would disagree with this, but thats just me, I like gifts :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 14:24:59 by Leebz »
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline EternalEyes

• Concept Artist
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • EternalEyes has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 15:34:53 »
But he didnt really slander it at all. He simply stated that doing a simple launcher like that is easily possible for any programmer worth his salt, but its not how we like to do things. We like releasing things done(at least to a high a standard as possible). For example we could take our 200+ building village, slap some textures on the buildings, and release it to the public, but doing something like that would undermine the work rafael and I have spent designing and modelling each building, and actually would not really be taking u guys' experience into consideration. In this case, deka has spent long hours making the login UI, and vreg does not want to let deka and the community down by releasing a half arsed launcher. With that in mind, we of course welcome anyone who wishes to to download the launcher that Fayte has graciously made, but remember that such a launcher will not be made official, we instead would much rather spend time on making one which fulfills our ambitions and plans. :)
  • Character Name: EternalEyes

Offline Vreg

• Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 16:48:45 »
Dead? No. SR is releasing their DM very soon.. We heard Fayte did a nice thing for SLO so we came to check it out and give it a whirl as he wanted to help SLO get back on its feet. Then Vreg kinda slandered Faytes gift to SLO after the community has said they like it. If the community like it over Firefox, shouldn't that be a good thing? I don't understand why SLO staff would disagree with this, but thats just me, I like gifts :)
SLO has never fallen, no need to help it get back on its feet. As far as Fayte is concerned, I remember him clearly leaving and not coming back, why doesn't he focus on SR instead of providing 'gifts' to us.

Also regarding that 'gift', coming with a Windows Forms embedded webbrowser that defaults to our site is one cheap gift, as if I didn't consider something as simple as that regarding the whole NPAPI fiasco.

We are doing just fine, thank you very much. Firefox has got us covered until we think it's time to release SLO standalone. I don't mind suggestions, but I don't like people getting too involved with how we do things.

@Mars The launcher will be released when SLO standalone gets released. As far as when this happens in terms of DM, I can't really tell. Originally we had planned DM to run in web browsers exclusive, but with NPAPI going away that might change. This will all depend on what exactly the situation is with NPAPI during the time where DM's release is nearing. We might make DM the first public standalone version of SLO with said launcher.

@Leebz I thought I told you I don't need the help of another programmer for a launcher, this is not a matter of pride, it's a matter of I know what I'm doing stay out of it.

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Shivraj has no influence.
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 18:34:54 »
Ok guys no need to start a war over it, Fayte wanted to make a launcher he made one what's the big problem? The people who like it download it and those who don't don't download it simple....... And btw why are all of you fighting over this? He wanted to make one he did what's the problem? I like the forum to keep as friendly as possible so please accept my request and leave this matter and stop fighting over it like 5-year olds. Thank You! (Shivraj- trying to bring peace(although failing every time)since 18292838292928 BC XD)

Btw Fayte gj for a twenty minute job more than anything I can code up XD I can't code sh*t right now ;-; but I'll learn :D. And yes people I've started coding using Python so wish me luck!!!
  • Character Name: Kazuki Raiu

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 21:06:02 »
I smell some envy.

Envy ? of what exactly ? And why do I feel that the very same group from another forum and another game always feel the need to pay our forum a visit every now and then ? How dead is it there to give you the need to come here and post a negative unnecessary remark ?
It wasn't Fayte who said that, why insult SR?
Fayte was trying to help out SLO because he's a nice guy and also has some friends over here. Don't be petty and throw forum insults.

Also, why are people taking this to heart?
What else except good intentions did Fayte send?

No matter what is removed, it will not help if the core is rotten.
If you think about it, you'll understand what I mean.

Offline Vreg

• Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 23:46:16 »
I smell some envy.

It wasn't Fayte who said that, why insult SR?
Fayte was trying to help out SLO because he's a nice guy and also has some friends over here. Don't be petty and throw forum insults.

Also, why are people taking this to heart?
What else except good intentions did Fayte send?

No matter what is removed, it will not help if the core is rotten.
If you think about it, you'll understand what I mean.

@Mars Where did Saitou mention or insult SR?

Recent Topics

Chakra Jumping by FrankJScott
Today at 17:53:52

Kyuzaki by FrankJScott
Today at 17:53:21

Anbu masks. by FrankJScott
Today at 17:52:56

Shadow Clone Jutsu by FrankJScott
Today at 17:52:28

Wassup peoplez! by FrankJScott
Today at 17:51:26