Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64351
Latest: DonaldNoife
New This Month: 220
New This Week: 56
New Today: 7
Stats
Total Posts: 75619
Total Topics: 21542
Most Online Today: 1265
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 1035
Total: 1048
EdithSoure
titlesuitsai
Google (AdSense)
Google (10)

Author Topic: Transportation laws  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Fraudulent

• Pink Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Fraudulent has no influence.
  • The Rose That Grew From Concrete
    • View Profile
  • Organization: BlackboxYoru
Transportation laws
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:38:16 »
Hello again, sorry for my inactivity. The thought of transportation and its laws came to mind this morning, so I wanted to ask a few questions;

If certain items can only remain in specific regions/countries or only certain people can have them, are we going to have laws that forbid others from gaining access or transporting stolen goods?

Maybe we will have certain weapons and gear that should only be accessible by high level/grade ninja. What's going to happen if someone steals this and smuggles it to their own location where they can sell it for a great price and potentially become part of the aristocracy?

Are we going to have drugs that temporarily enhance the physical abilities of a ninja? What's going to happen if someone does illegal drug trafficking, or even starts their own farm? (assuming the drugs are herbs and can be reproduced).

Ultimately this thread is asking about illegal transportation and the laws attached to it.
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere and I'm wasting your time.

internet sensation
also known as Snoopy
has a bigger dick than you

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

Re: Transportation laws
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:27:56 »
I would assume this could be RP fairly easily.

Some villages like the leaf village had natural resources like the dear antlers the Nara clan protected that were used for medical antidotes

The villages would try and secure the area around the resorses so that it would be more costly to try and take resorses then trade for them. But maybe Aries with certain resorses could be king of the hill mini games... so you have to control the hill to gather the resources

Offline json243

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • json243 has no influence.
  • Mars is a nuub
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 21:55:56 »
I agree that there should be an abundance of trade in the game. I don't know if there are going to be items that are illegal in some villages but not in others. Looting and stealing from traders is probably one way that people will gain items/money/etc. That way, its more realistic in the fact that traders will be attacked by bandits and rogue ninja.
  • Character Name: Hachemon Akagi (Kano)

Offline Fraudulent

• Pink Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 22:00:54 »
I agree that there should be an abundance of trade in the game. I don't know if there are going to be items that are illegal in some villages but not in others. Looting and stealing from traders is probably one way that people will gain items/money/etc. That way, its more realistic in the fact that traders will be attacked by bandits and rogue ninja.
Yeah for realism we should have merchants, maybe even some illegal ones who sell drugs. It'll be more fun and broad for the game if it included these small aspects of the real world.
Maybe we could even have ghettos and gang territories, obviously still keeping the theme of ninjas.
internet sensation
also known as Snoopy

Offline Omega

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Omega has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Tsunagami
  • Organization: Heathen
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 22:34:16 »
I'll be shooting for an El Chapo drug runner status.
  • Character Name: Omega Tsunagami

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 23:24:10 »
Yeah for realism we should have merchants, maybe even some illegal ones who sell drugs. It'll be more fun and broad for the game if it included these small aspects of the real world.
Maybe we could even have ghettos and gang territories, obviously still keeping the theme of ninjas.

Pretty sure we will have that in the full game the "ghettos and gang territories" people will create those situations for sure...
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Kings_Head

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:55:09 »
Pretty sure we will have that in the full game the "ghettos and gang territories" people will create those situations for sure...
Whoa whoa whoa what you trying to say REMI ******TRIGGERED******
Nobleblood Leader for the Great Kirishima Clan
"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?"

Offline Toratsume Nyshn

• Genin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Toratsume Nyshn has no influence.
  • Morigakure Elder
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Heathen,

Glory to the Black Rose
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 14:58:14 »
Hmm.. import and export duties and taxes along with toll taxes at special points like bridges, creaks, etc for using Roads connecting differents villages during transport can be used as a source income for the village and pay kage bills, improvise the village etc.

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 19:13:46 »
I feel like this brings up the question of: "How much power will Kages really hold over their respective villages?"

--in that (from my point of view) Kages would be the ones with the authority to 'ban' the import/export of certain items to and from their domains. However, that might require granting Kages with the actual power *to ban* characters from the village (something like spawning them a good mile or so outside of the village's boundaries, perhaps?)...which --I believe, anyway-- I don't think has been talked over much as of yet?

I don't know about specific merchants --unless we're talking players, in accordance with the above-- though, as it feels like they simply wouldn't fit into the world very well. This is especially true considering that I don't *believe* there'll be any specific way for one group/clan/gang to push out another in some sort of territorial dispute; even amongst the most hard-core RP groups, it'd be very difficult to *convince* another group to leave an area "...'cause you guys lost."

Good topic, all the same.
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 21:49:46 »
wasnt there talk a little while ago about a black market??? Anyway I'm not sure what items would be illegal??? All drugs herbs and the like would likely be used in poisons and medical treatments.

So I guess it come down to the economic distribution of resources. Maybe you can only find sulfer in the hidden valcano territory and only find poppys in the hidden hill. Thus forcing trade.

Offline Whatasnipe

• Writer
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Chunin Poster
  • Whatasnipe has no influence.
  • Burn their mongrel hides
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kirishima Clan
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 22:12:57 »
For contraband items there could be something like, maybe some kind of drug that increases your strength and muscle mass but takes a toll on your chakra pool and regeneration. Perhaps deadly poisons or toxins that have been outlawed in certain regions. Explosive compounds that have been deemed too dangerous for use. Stuff that you can actually use as a shinobi if you aren't caught with it, other than shit like "Ninja weed" that just puts a distortion filter over your screen.

Maybe some villages are against performance enhancing drugs because of certain negative effects that come with them, maybe some villages think their use should be allowed but regulated. Some villages may not care. That should be something for the Kage of that village to decide

Offline Fraudulent

• Pink Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 22:17:48 »
For contraband items there could be something like, maybe some kind of drug that increases your strength and muscle mass but takes a toll on your chakra pool and regeneration. Perhaps deadly poisons or toxins that have been outlawed in certain regions. Explosive compounds that have been deemed too dangerous for use. Stuff that you can actually use as a shinobi if you aren't caught with it, other than shit like "Ninja weed" that just puts a distortion filter over your screen.

Maybe some villages are against performance enhancing drugs because of certain negative effects that come with them, maybe some villages think their use should be allowed but regulated. Some villages may not care. That should be something for the Kage of that village to decide
It's a good concept that would take a lot of time to play around with. Adding a wavy screen overlay for when a ninja takes 'weed' is extremely stupid, but at the same time makes sense. However it would be more clever, like you mentioned, for these drugs to alter the chemicals in the human body and essentially grant temporary buffs depending on the drug.

Edit:I agree that it would be realistic if some countries or villages forbid specific drugs, whereas others allow it. This would bring the issue of contraband, drug trafficking and black markets. Again, realism.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 22:20:19 by Snoopy »
internet sensation
also known as Snoopy

Offline Manuster

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:26:07 »

It's a good concept that would take a lot of time to play around with. Adding a wavy screen overlay for when a ninja takes 'weed' is extremely stupid, but at the same time makes sense. However it would be more clever, like you mentioned, for these drugs to alter the chemicals in the human body and essentially grant temporary buffs depending on the drug.

Edit:I agree that it would be realistic if some countries or villages forbid specific drugs, whereas others allow it. This would bring the issue of contraband, drug trafficking and black markets. Again, realism.

Dragon, NinjaMiraje and Whatasnipe made 3 consectuviely good points. And I would have agreed with Snoopy that it would be realistic for certain villages to ban these drugs; but I don't see what the village would gain from doing so.

I know that these drugs may have negative effects if used but I don't feel as if that would make a Kage ban it, especially when they fully well know that;

1. It will only increase the presence and activity of the black market in their village.
2. People will not stop using it.
3. If their shinobi face the shinobi of another village, they will be at a disadvantage if they use the drug.
4. Many jutsu/secret techniques already have an element of risk from use (8 gates, learning Senjutsu, Forbidden jutsu, food pills). If they are to ban certain drugs because they are similar, then shouldn't they ban Senjutsu and the 8 gates?

I know it will be more realistic and I'm all for realism but for the reasons mentioned above (esepecially number 3 and 4), I don't think the benefits of outlawing performance enhancing drugs would match negatives. The only reason that these drugs would be banned in real life is because governments don't want people being as strong and agile as they can.

In a situation where they do want their people at their best (@Russian Summer Olympics Team) then I have little doubt that illegal performance enhancers would become 'legal'.

Mentioning the Olympics does however bring an idea to mind.

For the duration of Chuunin Exams (and any other exams that may happen in a shinobi's life) these same drugs would become illegal and any shinobi found (or framed) to have used them would be banned from the Exams. (Multiple uses may result in a permanent ban and may lead to a shinobi never being able to progress to Chuunin)

Apologies for going off topic.
RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 15:46:42 »
For the duration of Chuunin Exams (and any other exams that may happen in a shinobi's life) these same drugs would become illegal and any shinobi found (or framed) to have used them would be banned from the Exams. (Multiple uses may result in a permanent ban and may lead to a shinobi never being able to progress to Chuunin)

On the topic of "which would be banned from the exams", perhaps the limit should be the death/serious incapacitation of the user? That'd explain why Choji never used those food-pills until he *absolutely had to* --due to the serious risk involved-- and even then that was only *outside* of the exams.

Other than that, I'd say "All's fair in love and war", due to shinobi regularly going out on missions that are bound to get them killed. Ultimately, however, I'd say any intelligent Kage would propose a ban/limitation upon drugs/augmentations that seriously injure dozens of shinobi at a time, or even just one, very favored shinobi; Context is key.

Edit: Context *is* indeed key -- I just remembered that technically Sasuke grievously injured Gaara, who in turn would have straight up killed Lee had Might Guy not interfered (and thus cost Lee the exam, but saved his life). I suppose it all depends on the village's standards, really.

(Off-topic) Speaking of Gaara...I wonder how powerful the Hidden Dust will be. Just their name makes me wonder whether or not they'll have stuff as powerful as, say, a Skin Suffocation Jutsu. o_O)?
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline Whatasnipe

• Writer
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Chunin Poster
  • Whatasnipe has no influence.
  • Burn their mongrel hides
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kirishima Clan
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 22:58:29 »
How can you decide that the negative effects are outweighed by the good, if nobody went into detail on how severe the negatives were?

I don't think the benefits of outlawing performance enhancing drugs would match negatives.

What if it's addictive? What if it eventually kills you? In the same example of Strength over Chakra you ask why a kage would outlaw that.

Well, lets say the Kage decides this shit is too good to pass up, makes it widely available for everyone and encourages their shinobi to use it. Two years later all of the ninja in that village are ripped and are physically superior to any other ninja village. But not a single one of them can use jutsu anymore.

Some genin from an opposing village gets his hand on a massive fireball scroll, uses it on that village. So do they all just collectively throw their bodies in front of it in hopes to dissipate the fireball?

1. It will only increase the presence and activity of the black market in their village.

Fair point, you're right. But it's not like that's immediately a deal breaker. In Canada we have a ban on a lot of different weapons, like butterfly knives and automatic firearms. People still smuggle them in but that's a generous 1%, compared to the amount of people who would own them if they could just be purchased legally.

2. People will not stop using it.

Then they'll suffer the full effects of their decision.

3. If their shinobi face the shinobi of another village, they will be at a disadvantage if they use the drug.

A disadvantage in whatever the drug enhances, and an advantage of whatever it decreases.

4. Many jutsu/secret techniques already have an element of risk from use (8 gates, learning Senjutsu, Forbidden jutsu, food pills). If they are to ban certain drugs because they are similar, then shouldn't they ban Senjutsu and the 8 gates?

8 Gates aren't taught to just anyone, and the users know they have to be responsible with it, and be careful of how deep they go into it. It also isn't a substance that can be abused and sold. Not everyone gets a crack at learning Senjutsu, and those who do are usually both very skilled and well aware of what happens should they fail. Forbidden jutsu, believe it or not, are forbidden. As for food pills, the Akimichi clan pretty much kept those for themselves. The dangerous ones anyway. But they're used as a last resort ace in the hole. Choji doesnt just pop a red pill before training.

This is why a kage would want to outlaw something like this. If it only enhanced your performance without any negative drawback then of course nobody would outlaw it, but that's not (Or shouldn't be) the case. Since it's a matter of opinion how much the worth of the positives are against the negatives, different villages might have different policies for them.