Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64066
Latest: travemunc
New This Month: 4159
New This Week: 125
New Today: 25
Stats
Total Posts: 73914
Total Topics: 20765
Most Online Today: 983
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 685
Total: 694
Google (9)

Author Topic: Disguise Mechanics  (Read 9800 times)

Offline adithya

Disguise Mechanics
« on: January 14, 2017, 16:34:44 »
(Kinda surprised this wasn't already made, TBH)

I was watching Matt stream (awesome shit as always) when he zoomed through the village. He stopped at one point and there was a lone bench at the back of a building. Now I was intrigued. My mind wandered off and I came up with a scenario where 2 shinobi meet to exchange sensitive information.

But then a question popped up in my head. If it was, in fact 'sensitive' information, if an enemy player sees you in the village with another player, it'll really fuck up the whole secrecy thing. So I headed over to the forums in search of the word 'disguise' failing to find any threads discussing this, I figured I'd make one.

So to answer my own doubts about the secrecy factor, it is known that players will be able to use custom clothing (duh) What if there was an anonymity mode, which makes your character automatically wear a custom preset NPC clothing, which also hides your player name.

Note: The player name will be hidden only if you do not make an effort to find out if the player is an NPC. i.e., I use my mouse and right-click on the player.

This mechanism will have depth to it, if the game is really aspiring to be as detailed as possible ( each NPC having a name, family, routine etc etc) So, if I hover my mouse over a character be it an NPC or a player, it comes up on my screen just as a name. However, a right click on the character will reveal their identity as a player, because (hopefully) the final game would have in-game GUI to add people to your clan etc etc which can be triggered by the right click.

So now, we have a medium level of anonymity, making it hard on the stalker to find out who you are as well. There's an actual job for spies instead of just following a player character around. ( I realize as I write this how similar this is to the assassin's creed multiplayer lol)

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find it on the forums, so I made a thread.

Tell me if this is plausible, logical and fun.

Tell me if it isn't. (with reasons of course)

Offline America

• Hidden Metal Kage
  • Patriotic Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • America has no influence.
  • 初代目金属影 - First Kinzokukage
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
Re: Disguise Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 16:49:33 »

I was watching Matt stream (awesome shit as always) when he zoomed through the village. He stopped at one point and there was a lone bench at the back of a building. Now I was intrigued. My mind wandered off and I came up with a scenario where 2 shinobi meet to exchange sensitive information.

But then a question popped up in my head. If it was, in fact 'sensitive' information, if an enemy player sees you in the village with another player, it'll really fuck up the whole secrecy thing. So I headed over to the forums in search of the word 'disguise' failing to find any threads discussing this, I figured I'd make one.

So to answer my own doubts about the secrecy factor, it is known that players will be able to use custom clothing (duh) What if there was an anonymity mode, which makes your character automatically wear a custom preset NPC clothing, which also hides your player name.

Note: The player name will be hidden only if you do not make an effort to find out if the player is an NPC. i.e., I use my mouse and right-click on the player.

This mechanism will have depth to it, if the game is really aspiring to be as detailed as possible ( each NPC having a name, family, routine etc etc) So, if I hover my mouse over a character be it an NPC or a player, it comes up on my screen just as a name. However, a right click on the character will reveal their identity as a player, because (hopefully) the final game would have in-game GUI to add people to your clan etc etc which can be triggered by the right click.

So now, we have a medium level of anonymity, making it hard on the stalker to find out who you are as well. There's an actual job for spies instead of just following a player character around. ( I realize as I write this how similar this is to the assassin's creed multiplayer lol)

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find it on the forums, so I made a thread.

most people will just message the recipient through a 3rd party messaging software if they really need to relay information, let's be real here.
  • Character Name: Onoyari Hinode

Offline Manuster

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 16:53:37 »

most people will just message the recipient through a 3rd party messaging software if they really need to relay information, let's be real here.

I wish that America was wrong because your idea sounds rather great. The problem is, why would anyone go to that much trouble when there's google docs, gyazo and discord...
RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline vipto

• The Lost Sennin Donator
  • Genin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • vipto has no influence.
  • don't underestimate anyone, you might lose...
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 16:58:02 »
yesterday i was thinking about something like this: there should be an option that when you wear a mask no one can see your name/clan name (of course you could disable it so you can wear a cool mask and show your name)and only after you kill them or capture, you could take off their mask and see who you killed (if you kill that person).

i would like everyone to say why you like or why you don't like this idea and if you have something to add
  • Character Name: hishiro Nakai

Offline adithya

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 17:05:48 »

I wish that America was wrong because your idea sounds rather great. The problem is, why would anyone go to that much trouble when there's google docs, gyazo and discord...

I agree. But what about those who want to go the extra mile to rp? Anyway, I'm just saying. This would be awesome for like videos and stuff.

And this mechanic could also work for NPC created quests. Perhaps there can be NPCs with conflicting interest, and two players get interlinked quests from these NPCs? Then this mechanic would be quite fun to work with.

Offline Kazmaru

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kazmaru has no influence.
  • SLO Since August 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 17:06:37 »
yesterday i was thinking about something like this: there should be an option that when you wear a mask no one can see your name/clan name (of course you could disable it so you can wear a cool mask and show your name)and only after you kill them or capture, you could take off their mask and see who you killed (if you kill that person).

i would like everyone to say why you like or why you don't like this idea and if you have something to add
I like the idea of the mask but I think we don't want to see everyone wearing a mask and being unable to see the persons name/clan. I think you should like unlock the mask (or maybe something else) by being member of a specific organisation. Everyone would know what org you are from, but they don't know who you are.

Also, it seems obvious you will be able to whisper in the game. At least it would make sense if you could. If you have a secret meeting with someone where you exchange secret information. You could just whisper. You could make the players unlock the whisper option one way or another.
"Do not judge others simply by their preconceptions, and judgement based on their appearance. You assumed...that I have patience... You all fail to measure your own capacity, and my capacity. As a result, you lie here, beaten"

Offline adithya

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 17:07:23 »

That is basically what my idea is, if not exactly the same :P but with an action twist to it. It's cool.

Offline adithya

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 17:08:25 »

I like the idea of the mask but I think we don't want to see everyone wearing a mask and being unable to see the persons name/clan. I think you should like unlock the mask (or maybe something else) by being member of a specific organisation. Everyone would know what org you are from, but they don't know who you are.

Also, it seems obvious you will be able to whisper in the game. At least it would make sense if you could. If you have a secret meeting with someone where you exchange secret information. You could just whisper. You could make the players unlock the whisper option one way or another.

I was about to suggest the whisper thing too, but that's another mechanic on its own. Plus if I remember right, Vreg has already planned for this. (this being the whisper thing)

Offline StriderOtaku

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 17:15:14 »

I really love this idea. It is something that has bothered me for some time to be honest. If names are displayed irrespective of your choice to wear a mask/disguise or not, what then, is the point? In-game, there are times and scenarios in which one would love to remain anonymous but this can't be accomplished if you have your name hovering over your avatar no matter what. Take for example the Akatsuki-sometimes they wore straw hats when in public to avoid being identified. If Itachi had his name above his head all the time, he would've been an easy target for anyone looking to find him(no doubt he would've kicked most people's asses, but still...).
  • Character Name: Ikiryo

Offline StriderOtaku

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 17:19:33 »

I agree it would be kinda whack if everyone you met in-game had a mask on and you couldn't tell who anyone was.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 17:21:20 by StriderOtaku »
  • Character Name: Ikiryo

Offline adithya

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 17:21:52 »
lol if there's some orgy mechanic, the mask think would be some dope bdsm play.

fuck...

Offline adithya

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 17:22:14 »
lol if there's some orgy mechanic, the mask thing would be some dope bdsm play.

fuck...

Offline Manuster

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 18:54:40 »

No. Everybody shut up. Look at this. This is it. Nothing else matters. All your other opinions are wrong.
RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 19:08:11 »
There was some discussion on this point when
We were talking about ways to introduce the
transformation jutsu. This is basicly the first idea of the thread... looking like a random npc.
But when you start talking about transformation
The flood gates open and there's looking  like other players, look like teem mates, look like weapons or game objects, so if I remember right it was desided that transformation would not be a thing.

While it would be a amazing game mechanic, for the initial release anyway there are better things to work on.

Offline taigakun

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 19:51:12 »

This idea i like. I belive there should be a way to hide player names and wearing a mask seems brilliant. And it works too for the players looking to be anbu or secret assassins