Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64066
Latest: travemunc
New This Month: 4159
New This Week: 125
New Today: 28
Stats
Total Posts: 73914
Total Topics: 20765
Most Online Today: 983
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 748
Total: 756
Google (8)

Author Topic: Kenjutsu Thoughts & Opinions  (Read 5823 times)

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
Kenjutsu Thoughts & Opinions
« on: March 08, 2017, 00:35:06 »
My opinions
I'll start off by saying, I really like it. I think it's really cool and is a big step for SLO. It's something to hold the game together so it's not just chidori + wind bullet spam. It does seem quite rigid. The way to win in-game is to spam the kenjutsu move and move around your opponent. However, I'm not complaining, I feel this is more realistic than running back and forwards with chidori however it needs change and I'm sure that will come with more moves.

The positives
It's well made. The one move does seem really fluent and it's actually fun to use. The attack damage isn't too much nor is it too little and I like the proportion that it is scaled with speed. I like the dash forward, it stops the traditional "joust" or running and back and forth then advancing to land a hit.

The negatives
I think it takes too much chakra, however this isn't an issue as you can spam it when you're out of chakra due to a bug/glitch. When this bug/glitch is patched it'll be another scenario of using a few moves then waiting ages for your shit to regen. Please don't make it take loads of chakra, the fights are already choppy and full of waiting as it is.
It's more effective to just spam the move to move than actually move around by running if you're low on chakra (and if you're high on chakra you can spam the move and run faster to go faster than normal as well)

All in all, I really like the update and I can see it becoming even more fun in due time.
I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions

Maybe use this format
Code: [Select]
[b]Overall Opinion[/b]
[b]Positives[/b]
[b]Negatives[/b]
[b]Suggestions[/b]

Or do your own thing, that's just a guideline if you don't know what to write.

• Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline Ken

• Hidden Snow Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Ken has no influence.
  • HA!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:

Re: Kenjutsu Thoughts & Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 00:37:20 »
Hey a new thread about, Kenjutsu Thoughts & Opinions.
Hey lets test out kenjutsu.
OH WAIT IM NOT CHUNIN DONATOR OR HIGHER... -_- and will never test it cuz this game won't be in beta for about 50 years from now.

Offline CaioDarT

• Chunin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • CaioDarT has no influence.
  • Zero Reiends Frere Heal
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Yamazaki

• Organization: RoguhantaBlackbox
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:14:52 »
Overall Opinion: Kenjutsu is a really great add to the game that changes the perspective of a battle and give us another way to fight (Before was basically wind bullet/chidori)
of course there is alot to enhance but its already something

Positives: The movements looks smooth and nice, like Mars said it is really fluid. The add of Kenjutsu give us another way to battle (A fun one btw).

Negatives: The problem is that it costs too much chakra (Not couting the bug/glitch) wich makes battle last forever as we normally see on a chidori-WBullet fight and the damage is not that high to compensate the chakra.

Suggestions: My suggestion is to adjust the chakra cost for using the Sword and also there is some glitchs like the sword desappearing but its normal since its not really ready

Sorry for any english misspelled word.

Offline Manuster

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:19:29 »
rip your format

The graphics are beautiful, best yet. And I'm using it on fastest, can't even imagine what beautiful would be.

The Kenjutsu is bugged, ofc, but its a nice system.

Ideally, we should be able to imbue chakra into our swords soon...
RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline LethalDarkness4

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
  • LethalDarkness4 has no influence.
  • Tsunagami Co-Leader
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Tsunagami Clan
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:19:51 »
You guys are only scratching the surface (tbh) lol

So lemme run you guys through a quick list of broken things in the update as well as the good things (though there is hardly any unfortunetly). Sorry @Vreg but it's true

Positives

+The Graphical Improvement looks amazing (Congrats SLO DEV team for this)
+Added Kenjutsu (Now there are negatives to kj but most of the people who commented on this thread pointed them out, so I don't feel the need to point them out too but, again well done DEV team for making KJ a reality)

unfortunately that's where the positives end for the new update lol... here's why

Negatives

Earth Dome

-Earth Domes can be placed on walls (even on trees lel)
-Earth Domes can be placed on other earth domes
-You can create Planetary devastation lol (Basically you can put earth domes in the sky cuz y'know, logic)
-Earth Domes have infinite range
-Earth Domes can be placed while moving (whether that would be by jumping or running/walking. You could probably even do it while you are dodging too tbh I never tried)

Earth Wall

-Earth Wall has all the same problems as Earth Dome so no point of writing the same shit out again

Wind Bullets

-When wind bullets are fired they explode straight away in your face though in fairness I know Vreg is aware of this issue (eyyy wb jousting AKA jostling confirmed? Yh that's a thing now, I tested it with @Raidnn and @takami. It's pretty funny actually.) through further testing I figured out this glitch stops if you have been killed and "the no sword glitch"  comes into play. Basically what I'm saying is the only way to fix this is by causing another bug...

Animation

- Occasionally your character can go into a weird KJ floating animation but, it's easy to fix by doing either a hand sign or a slash with the sword again.. However Just like Wind bullet ik Vreg is aware of this issue

Finally....

Thanks to @Raidnn and @takami  for helping me look for bugs so that we could alert the DEV Team about it and also it was just fun in general to mess around with dem earth domes kek

Edit - I will copy america and give the new update a rating too.

4/10

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:48:47 by LethalDarkness4 »
  • Character Name: Kensei Tsunagami

Offline America

• Hidden Metal Kage
  • Patriotic Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • America has no influence.
  • 初代目金属影 - First Kinzokukage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 03:40:40 »
The problem I have with it is that it's not really even kenjutsu. We are given the option to draw a sword and swing it in one fashion.

It is fun for the first fifteen minutes, but due to it being underpowered it isn't really used. There are also a number of bugs that accompany it as others have gone into more detail about.

I will say, the animation is nice and it feels like it flows well.

meh/10

does make some good memes tho

made by ken
  • Character Name: Onoyari Hinode

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:33:43 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm happy to hear most of you like kenjutsu and the graphical improvements, both of which are going to further improve as we continue to grow.

I like this format of feedback, nice suggestion @Mars

I have a fair idea now of what bugs came with the update, and I'll make it a priority tonight to fix them with a patch release following soon after (soon in normal time, not in Vreg time).

Regarding chakra and damage consumption, we scaled kenjutsu to be balanced with current ninjutsu.
Some numbers:

- Kenjutsu damage: 66.67 - 100
- Kenjutsu chakra: 66.67
- Kenjutsu hits to kill at base damage: 15
- Kenjutsu total hits with full chakra: 15
- Kenjutsu total kills possible with full chakra at base damage: 1

- Chidori damage: 200 - 300
- Chidori chakra: 100
- Chidori hits to kill at base damage: 5
- Chidori total hits with full chakra: 10
- Chidori total kills possible with full chakra at base damage: 2

We didn't intend kenjutsu to replace our existing ninjutsu in battles, thus we kept it in balance with everything else. Because it has more speed, easier targeting and a wider range of attack we gave it 1/3rd the power of a chidori, but we also made it consume less chakra so you can use it 1.5x more frequently than chidori.

I think chakra and damage wise it's well balanced when compared to everything else (not considering that bug). And in order to fix the long battles we get, we need to reconfigure all of our jutsu together.
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:54:03 »
I don't really have much to add except for the waiting for chakra problem which could be fixed with a chakra recharge button.
@Vreg what happened to that idea?
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline vipto

• The Lost Sennin Donator
  • Genin Poster
  • vipto has no influence.
  • don't underestimate anyone, you might lose...
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 13:44:46 »
It takes too much chakra but I don't think that is the problem cuz if we could use kenjutsu without the dash that means you dont need chakra so instead of reducing the chakra just add kenjutsu without the dash add stamina and make that use stamina and no chakra stamina should regen alot faster than chakra
  • Character Name: hishiro Nakai

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Tameshi Hinode has no influence.
  • See trough the darkness.
    • View Profile

• Organization: Midori Ken
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 23:50:21 »
Taking the dash away from kenjutsu would be a bad idea,then it wouldnt be much different from the chidori fights and it would be harder to hit someone.
Kenjutsu is different,and thats a good thing,we need some diversity.
However,a compromise could work.
You can make kenjutsu lose the dash if you are out of chakra,and a chakra recharge button should be added.
A regular sword slash without a dash,shouldnt use any chakra.

As for kenjutsu as a whole:
I love it!
I was waiting so long for this and its really fun to use.
Seems to be easier to get into than using jutsus,but it will be hard to master,i can see different ways of using kenjutsu allready.

The negative part:
Kenjutsu fights can sometimes be similiar to chidori fights(waiting,running,trying to feint,hit).
Though,i believe that this will get better with the soft lock-on that was discussed before allready,and with different attacks or a blocking mechanic.

PS:Since im allready here....jumping with the space bar feels much better than with the right mouse button,thats also how most people should be used to it allready from other games.
Next should be,the dodge button.
Dodging also shouldn make you leave the,,kenjutsu state''.
  • Character Name: Tameshi Hinode

Offline sirpaul

• Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
  • sirpaul has no influence.
  • Previosly known as Fampo
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Tsunagami
  • Organization: Roguhanta and Blackbox
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 16:39:51 »
My opinions
It's something to hold the game together so it's not just chidori + wind bullet spam.

yea, youre right.. now its chidori + wind bullet + kenjutsu spam lol
  • Character Name: Sirpaul