Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64493
Latest: zithromax 1000 mg online
New This Month: 15
New This Week: 38
New Today: 15
Stats
Total Posts: 77369
Total Topics: 22866
Most Online Today: 1663
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 1281
Total: 1291
Juliyve
Google (AdSense)
Google (8)

Author Topic: Puppetry Game Mechanics  (Read 10347 times)

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • DarthTyrael has no influence.
  • I try to assist wherever I can.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
Re: Puppetry Game Mechanics
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 13:42:42 »
-------------------
control of the puppets movements  however should be simmaler to the aiming mode for the earthdome. This way it feels like your moving the puppet around rather then becoming the puppet yourself.

-------------------

I had that system in my mind was well, but there's one problem with this statement cm: the puppet cannot rotate freely that way, it'll just be a stationary movement.

It can however rotate as the user rotates, but it cannot rotate away from the user if using the earth dome placement system as it currently is.

True though, it would be more realistic using this POV, instead of looking through the eyes of the puppet.

"A village without a Kage is lost for some time, but a Kage without a village is lost forever"

Join Hidden Dust's Discord server!

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 13:52:00 »
What if the animation of the puppets simply fallows the mouse movement so the puppet always faces the direction the mouse moves...

This way you could even get the effect of running your puppet around a target like kankuro dose in naruto.  Just by circling your mouse around the target.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 13:55:22 by cmsurfer »

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 13:58:40 »
Sorry if you misunderstood me, I mean it cannot rotate around its own axis.

It's like the Earth and the moon. If you would imply the ED placement system, the User (Earth) can rotate around it's own axis with WASD, the Puppet (Moon) can rotate around the User, but cannot rotate around its own axis, thus not really completing the system's complete freedom (Since the moon rotates around its own axis as well).

But then again, this would be with the current ED placement system.

I hope I made my point more clear now.

"A village without a Kage is lost for some time, but a Kage without a village is lost forever"

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 14:02:45 »
No I'm sorry I didn't explain myself better the axis of the puppet is changes by mouse directions was what I meant... so moving the mouse forward would put the puppets back to you.
As well as move the puppet away from you
And moving the mouse left would face the puppets left side to you and move the puppet to the left. So the axis is automatically updated with movement.

This has the added benefit of leaving wasd open for you to strafe and move while controlling your puppet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 14:12:22 by cmsurfer »

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 14:10:55 »
I see...

Well it would complete the "system" as I mentioned earlier... But it would feel a bit clunky in terms of control wise.
Nevertheless it can be mastered and requires skill to use. Could be a valid alternative option imo, should the rest for some reason not work or simply be denied or something like that.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 14:43:00 »
I see...

Well it would complete the "system" as I mentioned earlier... But it would feel a bit clunky in terms of control wise.
Nevertheless it can be mastered and requires skill to use. Could be a valid alternative option imo, should the rest for some reason not work or simply be denied or something like that.

I love that word -clunky-it is perfect description of how you would expect a puppet to behave. Adds a sence of realism to the puppets use.

if puppet are implemented I think it will add more of a naruto element to the game and drive the crafting and sandbox features of the game, because it will open up reasons to learn crafting skills for poisons, metallurgy,  explosives, and  mechanism. As well as the need for the items needed to make them. This in turn will dive the economy more and available missions more.

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Shivraj has no influence.
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 15:00:50 »
Honestly, I feel that the camera should follow the puppet because it'd make it somewhat easier to use taijutsu and kenjutsu, but that somewhat takes away the realism.

That being said, I think it should be hard to master this art, I remember playing a game with puppetry as a fighting style, I shall link it here.

I would suggest a camera angle like that, although a bit more tailored to SLO.
  • Character Name: Kazuki Raiu

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 15:22:46 »
Honestly, I feel that the camera should follow the puppet because it'd make it somewhat easier to use taijutsu and kenjutsu, but that somewhat takes away the realism.

That being said, I think it should be hard to master this art, I remember playing a game with puppetry as a fighting style, I shall link it here.

I would suggest a camera angle like that, although a bit more tailored to SLO.

This is what I had in mind- a 3rd person camera that fallows the movements of both puppet and ninja. But instead of programmed attack animations and AI- you will have full control over the attack direction and movement of the puppets. because the movement and positioning of the puppets is difficult most of the puppets attacks should consist of aoe attacks and hard lock combos when a target is in range.

Just my 2 sence on targeting for puppets

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • SpeakingRain has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Hyakki Yagyō

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 15:26:07 »
I like the idea of having a puppet with you.
Might be an unpopular opinion but I think it'll be easiest to have an AI puppet that fights along side you, like a clone, however, the puppet would have two bars; one for health (green) and one for shield (white). The clone will by default take shield damage when hit and will have a medium-length shield regeneration. Health however will not regenerate, and the puppet will disappear when the user reaches a certain threshold of chakra.

That completely takes away the point of having a puppet, wouldn't it XD
It isn't complicated, and the idea that it has a shield that regenerates should make up for the loss of control the user has upon the puppet. Also, it wouldn't be a stupid AI, it would have basic dodging abilities and great swordsmanship. Whenever it's ready to make a hit, it would almost-instantly jump in-front of the enemy and start slicing them.

The point of a puppet is to control it directly. Otherwise the it would just be another run of the mill clone, but with extra armor. Sure, it's much simpler, but you can't really call it a puppet at that point, and it certainly wouldn't feel like the puppetry in Naruto.

As for the camera angle, I'd prefer the camera stays by the user, because it would be easier for the player to watch out for sneak attacks and respond quickly to them. After all, it's not the puppet that'll die, it's the puppeteer.
  • Character Name: Ginko
Find true freedom. Join the Land of Wolves, free from the corrupt Kage system.

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 15:41:12 »
I think that it should be like,

User mode - Normal camera, and the puppet moves like it does in there

Puppet mode - The camera shown there and the puppet is the only one moving with the wasd, the user can move using the arrow keys, and basically what the post dictates

That would make for a "good"-ish system regarding the camera, and to be honest, it might not "fit" that well, but I'm sure the staff can polish the camera if we just work on the mechanics, the mouse to rotate system just feels, idk, "tedious" I suppose.

As for the camera angle, I'd prefer the camera stays by the user, because it would be easier for the player to watch out for sneak attacks and respond quickly to them. After all, it's not the puppet that'll die, it's the puppeteer.
that's why there's the Sensory abilities, not to mention, the top-down-ish view as shown in that video would somewhat solve that, not to mention, I don't mean it to be so angled, more like a 40° from the user I suppose.

This kind of "mixes" the two ideas Darth and I had, about the racing over and the two cameras, although it adds a new element of it's own.

The controls can stay the same, and the camera can be convenient too. I still understand it being by the user though, so that's be okay-ish too. (For the Realism) We'd have to see how it works out with that though, because we don't want to repel people from one style for the sake of realism.

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 16:49:59 »
puppets
puppet
puppe
pupp
pup
pu
pus
puss
pussy
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 17:06:37 »
puppets
puppet
puppe
pupp
pup
pu
pus
puss
pussy
I'd like it if you would stop sharing your opinion unless it helps in the development of this suggestion. Thanks.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 17:47:28 »
There is no need for a user mode

The camera in game now just needs to zoom out slightly in puppet mode

Switching in and out of puppet mode would only be needed when your done fighting or begin fighting. to make the transition seem less obvious the user mode should simply be the default- meaning you put your puppet away.

Why would you advertise your fighting style with a puppet fallowing you around all the time using up chakra. You would eather roll it up on your back or ideally use a Fuinjutsu scroll like cheo

As for the mouse control... I think that this in combination with a hard lock targeting system for  Malay combat will not be as cumbersome as some think because the axis changes when you move the mouse, you  merely  need to move the pointer to the target and hit your Jutsu command. This makes people have to block the puppets while trying to move to attack the puppeteer. The puppeteers best defence is his puppet. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 18:02:57 by cmsurfer »

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 18:04:29 »
Vreg announced that there will be no puppets. @Shivraj Please, close the topic. There's no use in continuing this puppet discussion further.

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 18:04:49 »
puppets
puppet
puppe
pupp
pup
pu
pus
puss
pussy
I'd like it if you would stop sharing your opinion unless it helps in the development of this suggestion. Thanks.

but the man himself said it too
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Recent Topics

Top Posters

Mars
Reminance
Shivraj
m4r1us
Manuster
NinjaMirage
Nova
taigakun