Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64353
Latest: Bruceraw
New This Month: 222
New This Week: 58
New Today: 9
Stats
Total Posts: 75628
Total Topics: 21549
Most Online Today: 1265
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 1083
Total: 1097

Author Topic: Alternating between combat and travelling  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
Alternating between combat and travelling
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:55:36 »
So I just got a thought that may or may not have been planned.
Everyone knows it is super annoying when people jump in combat right now and though jumping consumes a said amount of chakra but it is still spamable none the less.

I suggest we have a combat mode where such high jumps aren't possible and  running speed maybe nerfed down whilst in combat. Combat mode lasts 5-10 seconds after combat so it is possible to flee if you don't get hit with a jutsu during those 5-10 seconds but if you are in combat mode, you won't be able to just jump out of the way so easily.. Am I making sense? I don't know. Tell me what you think. :)

• Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline lollernoob9

• Temari Sennin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • lollernoob9 has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Amigake
  • Organization: Jyuunishin-Niwatori
Re: Alternating between combat and travelling
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 05:55:52 »
  This has been done in other games, tho I dont feel it suits SLO because a lot of your dodging depends on speed. Jumpers are annoying, but tbh that is only a useful thing to do in the pre alpha map without aiming. Later in development they will not get off so easy, if anyone thinks to try it.

Combat would not feel seamless with this implemented
  • Character Name: Shishida Amigake
A danger foreseen is half avoided.

Offline taigakun

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 09:36:27 »
  This has been done in other games, tho I dont feel it suits SLO because a lot of your dodging depends on speed. Jumpers are annoying, but tbh that is only a useful thing to do in the pre alpha map without aiming. Later in development they will not get off so easy, if anyone thinks to try it.

Agree with this

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 17:46:41 »

Combat would not feel seamless with this implemented
That's the thing though, there is a dodging mechanic in SLO that is actually not being used just because it is easier to jump the attacks and have 100% dodge rate because of it and it takes less chakra. I really think that this mechanic of combat mode would help fighting be more skill based and get people to actually use the dodge mechanic that has already been implemented.

Also, I am not asking for it to be thrown in now. The suggestion is for the full game meaning it can come tomorrow or as a final update before MMO stage but I still think it will be a handy thing to put in that will improve combat overall. The fact other MMOs have it for their PvP says a lot. It means people like it, it makes fighting more fair and can improve the game with no downfalls or hindering the game t all.

Of course, the end decision is with @Vreg so I would like to hear his thought on this more than anything.

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 17:50:12 »
Our jumping and dodging mechanics have a lot of work left on them still, so before that there's really no point in thinking about a future mechanic that makes the current mechanic more sensible.

Besides that, I don't like the idea of a magical combat mode that all of a sudden makes your character less capable than he was a minute ago.
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 18:10:29 »
Our jumping and dodging mechanics have a lot of work left on them still, so before that there's really no point in thinking about a future mechanic that makes the current mechanic more sensible.

Besides that, I don't like the idea of a magical combat mode that all of a sudden makes your character less capable than he was a minute ago.
It only makes him a little bit braindead.
That's not so bad right xD?
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 18:39:26 »

It's not "magical" it just nerfs how high you jump or make it cost more chakra.. Other MMOs do it because it creates balance.. What is the point in having a dodge mechanic if no one uses it because they get 100% dodge rate just by jumping (Which takes less buttons than dodging too)

I understand there is more work to come for the jumping and dodge mechanics but still.. This is a feature that should be considered in the future to balance pvp out. I see a lot of new players disregarding the unsaid rule we use to have of "Don't jump or you're just a bitch" lol.. Now they all do it, it takes about 30mins to land a jutsu, any jutsu, on them.. I'd much rather spend that time in a LoL game tbh.

Again, I understand there is still much work to go in but you just said you don't plan on such a feature ever being in the game so I am picturing an MMO, with more jutsu but to land one will still have you 30mins to do.

To sum up, there is a reason that big, popular MMOs have this feature and why their pvp is well loved by their communities. I'd strongly recommend reconsidering never having such a feature or something similar. :)

Offline Vreg

• Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 18:47:24 »

It's not "magical" it just nerfs how high you jump or make it cost more chakra.. Other MMOs do it because it creates balance.. What is the point in having a dodge mechanic if no one uses it because they get 100% dodge rate just by jumping (Which takes less buttons than dodging too)

I understand there is more work to come for the jumping and dodge mechanics but still.. This is a feature that should be considered in the future to balance pvp out. I see a lot of new players disregarding the unsaid rule we use to have of "Don't jump or you're just a bitch" lol.. Now they all do it, it takes about 30mins to land a jutsu, any jutsu, on them.. I'd much rather spend that time in a LoL game tbh.

Again, I understand there is still much work to go in but you just said you don't plan on such a feature ever being in the game so I am picturing an MMO, with more jutsu but to land one will still have you 30mins to do.

To sum up, there is a reason that big, popular MMOs have this feature and why their pvp is well loved by their communities. I'd strongly recommend reconsidering never having such a feature or something similar. :)
Nerfing the jump height is magical as it makes no logical sense.

Besides that, there will be height control in the actual jumping mechanic, and depending on how high you jump more energy will be used.

And finally, once all of our aiming and locking mechanics are in place, jumping won't save you from being defeated.

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 18:49:53 »

Nerfing the jump height is magical as it makes no logical sense.

Besides that, there will be height control in the actual jumping mechanic, and depending on how high you jump more energy will be used.

And finally, once all of our aiming and locking mechanics are in place, jumping won't save you from being defeated.
Ahhh, a locking/aiming mechanic.. I like that way more than my idea now. Very well, I look forward to that. Keep up the good work man.

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 17:54:06 »
Hold up, how *much* of an aim/lock mechanic are we talking? If it's going to be "My fireball can track you" then I might as well stop waiting, because that'd be insane. If you're talking aim/lock as in 'tracking' the player, or simply locking the camera on that player, then 'maybe'.

Also, as for the jumping...I don't see that as being a problem in the long-run -- at least not until you reach the high-skill-tier PvP conflicts, in which case I'd *expect* said players to have high enough stats to accomplish such jumps. Early and even medium-tier players won't have that luxury, because they'll have a lot less chakra to use, meaning they're going to have to be a LOT more conservative with it. Far as I can tell Leebz, you're looking at it from the perspective of the current 'test' PvP available, which is probably the wrong angle to be forming opinions from.

But anyway, I would like to know how far you guys are planning on taking that aim/lock.
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline Fraudulent

• Pink Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Fraudulent has no influence.
  • The Rose That Grew From Concrete
    • View Profile
  • Organization: BlackboxYoru
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 18:26:50 »
I'd like a lock-on mechanic where techniques like "Wind bullet" track you down for a certain distance and have a 100% hit rate, however you can easily evade it by jumping away. The bullet will fly at a fixed height which gives the victim a chance to jump away and dodge the attack.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 18:30:10 by child_emperor »
internet sensation
also known as Snoopy
has a bigger dick than you

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 18:29:32 »
I'd like a lock-on mechanic where techniques like wind bullet track you down for a certain distance and have a 100% hit rate, however you can easily evade it by jumping away. The bullet will fly at a fixed height so you can jump and evade it.

...Wouldn't that make--as Leebz was mostly concerned--the general dodge useless but the jump way too effective? And if we're pairing it up with what I said about stat tiers, wouldn't that make such a jutsu the equivalent of an aim-bot? Sorry if I misread it, but by my knowledge, this game was 'supposed' to allow your skill to determine your effectiveness in combat -- removing a player's ability to move out of the way seems very much like WoW.
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline Vreg

• Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 18:40:40 »
Hold up, how *much* of an aim/lock mechanic are we talking? If it's going to be "My fireball can track you" then I might as well stop waiting, because that'd be insane. If you're talking aim/lock as in 'tracking' the player, or simply locking the camera on that player, then 'maybe'.

Also, as for the jumping...I don't see that as being a problem in the long-run -- at least not until you reach the high-skill-tier PvP conflicts, in which case I'd *expect* said players to have high enough stats to accomplish such jumps. Early and even medium-tier players won't have that luxury, because they'll have a lot less chakra to use, meaning they're going to have to be a LOT more conservative with it. Far as I can tell Leebz, you're looking at it from the perspective of the current 'test' PvP available, which is probably the wrong angle to be forming opinions from.

But anyway, I would like to know how far you guys are planning on taking that aim/lock.
To clarify on how our aiming and target locking system will work:

First and foremost, the camera and aiming are separate entities. There will be a manipulable crosshair on the area that your camera is pointing at, and where you point this crosshair will determine exactly where you end up aiming.
Target locking is not an aiming feature, it's a camera feature. Target locking makes your camera follow a certain target that is within a visually traceable distance, and using your crosshair you can then effectively decide where you want to aim relative to that target's position. Of course you can keep target locking off and control both your camera and aiming manually, and in many situations this will be the more beneficial tactic.

There will be no such thing as aim assist in SLO, but I guess you could consider the camera's target locking system a form of aim assistance.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 18:55:31 »
Are there going to be aoe jutsu and will you be able to target the area instead if an individual??
And do you see the earth dom eventually working on a targeting Machanic like this??

Offline Vreg

• Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 19:15:47 »
Are there going to be aoe jutsu and will you be able to target the area instead if an individual??
And do you see the earth dom eventually working on a targeting Machanic like this??
Yes there will be and Earth Dome will eventually get that.