Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 65784
Latest: DemetraFea
New This Month: 1305
New This Week: 148
New Today: 148
Stats
Total Posts: 80196
Total Topics: 24303
Most Online Today: 1378
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 15
Guests: 1130
Total: 1151

Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 4513 times)

Offline sluce

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • sluce has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
First Impressions
« on: June 26, 2016, 00:06:41 »
So today I found out about this game and decided to give it a try. I think it already looks promising with the little systems that are in it. I myself am a programmer and use unity, so I was excited to see that you guys are using it as well.

There was really no place to give feedback or discuss first impressions so I decided that I would post it here.

Impressions:

- Running and jumping feel really un-intuitive, and a bit clunky. I see what you guys are trying to do with a more realistic approach to running and such but I think that the way you are going about it feels a bit awkward.

- The jutsu system. I really like that you can cast by using hand seals, so it felt great to spit fire at people!

- It said use left click to attack but I really couldn't attack. Was also despressed that there was no kunai or swords to use.

- Logging into the game and the overall feel of the network felt responsive. (However, there was not a lot of people on and such so that also has a part to play in it).

- the UI feels a bit to big and there is words everywhere which really clutters up the screen especially at smaller screen sizes.

- Switching windows causes game to crash

- Lastly I think that sprinting and physical activities should use a stamina pool instead of the chakra pool.

In this part I will discuss what I think would be possible fixes for the problems that I stated.

Jumping/Running fixed:

- Keep the shift button as a toggle for sprint off and on. When sprinting is toggled on you pick up speed to a cap of 60 mph, however, when sprinting is off you keep running at the speed you were but your speed slowly degrades at first then as you slow down it degrades even faster to a walk pace.  I think this would making sprinting feel more smooth and intuitive.

- I think that jumping with the right mouse key feels awkward and should be placed back on space. 

- For dodging I think it makes more sense to use the right mouse key to dodge if you are pressing A or D and then use it to block if you are walking forward or just standing there.

I hope that in the future there will be a skill system that will allow a variety of skills like taijutsu, ninjutsu, and kenjutsu. I will definitely be keeping up on this project though.

P.S : After I posted this I noticed the feedback forum section that was above this one. I feel bad because I really did not notice it, Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:08:07 by sluce »

• Character Name: Shizu

Offline taigakun

Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 00:15:16 »
You know the game is in pre alpha right? A LOT of things are going to be changed and improved in the upcoming updates and patches leading up to the final build. Not many games even allow their fan base to see the game at its pre alpha stages

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 00:21:20 »
I actually like the way the controls are set right now.
You just have to get used to them.
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline sluce

• Academy Student Poster
  • sluce has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:06:35 »
You know the game is in pre alpha right? A LOT of things are going to be changed and improved in the upcoming updates and patches leading up to the final build. Not many games even allow their fan base to see the game at its pre alpha stages

Of course I realize that this is pre-alpha. This is why I am giving feedback because pre-alpha is one of the most integral parts of game development. I feel as though this stage is the best stage to give feedback at since it is where you build your foundation for all of your systems.

When I program a game I love to get all sorts of feedback from my friends even at the early stages when it is just terrible. So, I am just giving feedback that I would like to have if I was developing the game.
  • Character Name: Shizu

Offline Scrumpeh

• Academy Student Poster
  • Scrumpeh has no influence.
  • Spaghetti Aficionado
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 02:13:07 »

Of course I realize that this is pre-alpha. This is why I am giving feedback because pre-alpha is one of the most integral parts of game development. I feel as though this stage is the best stage to give feedback at since it is where you build your foundation for all of your systems.

When I program a game I love to get all sorts of feedback from my friends even at the early stages when it is just terrible. So, I am just giving feedback that I would like to have if I was developing the game.

Not a dev, but the feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for taking your time with this.
  • Character Name: Rokuro Akagi

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 13:02:12 »
Some good feedback here but Remi has a good point.
SLO is very different to other games and if you play a lot you'll grow to love the controls. It feels really fluent and gives lots of fluidity of movement.

SLO's dynamic movement system is one of the key features and can make fights very interesting.

I agree with your stamina idea, though this has been discussed and will be implemented in due time.

Taijutsu, Kenjutsu etc will be added when they're finished being developed.

Overall this is some really well laid out feedback and I hope to see you around the forum more, welcome! :D
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode