Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64077
Latest: Julissm
New This Month: 4170
New This Week: 136
New Today: 23
Stats
Total Posts: 73945
Total Topics: 20793
Most Online Today: 1087
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 1084
Total: 1092
Julissm
Marinafyx
Google (5)
Baidu

Author Topic: Impressions  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Blazefp

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Blazefp has no influence.
  • What a drag....
    • View Profile
Impressions
« on: October 13, 2016, 16:36:29 »
Hi, kinda new here, just wanted to throw my 2 cents on this awesome project so sorry if any of the things I say have already been said or are being worked on. Prepare for a big text (within the spoilers) but there's a summary at the end if you're to lazy to read it all.

Spoiler: show

I went looking for a naruto MMORPG the other day because the official one sucks and to my surprise I found the exact thing I was looking for - the SLO.
As a natural sceptic I was expecting to find basically a general MMORPG such as silkroad with a naruto skin and to be honest I'd be happy with that already but you guys went several steps further and actually made something much deeper and definitely more interesting. Kudos for that!

Speaking only about the downloadable version, the first thing that caught my eye were the graphs, really great stuff much better than what I was expecting for a reasonably small indy game and the performance is not bad either, I have a 4yo AMD Radeon 7670M and it ran smoothly at 30fps if I took off motion blur and dialled down on the graphs a bit, with the fastest graphs it could run at 60fps even with rain and a 3x3 pvp in the stadium. Although I'm also aware that there's still not many structures in the game.
Took me a while to figure out how to run and I'm still not sure if it's too complicated or I'm just not used to it.
The jutsu and hand signs are pretty creative, I was thinking there were set jutsu that you just select and click to use but this way is so much more realistic (ironic I know) and it'll provide much more interesting battles, I just which there was an easier way of making the handsigns, it requires me to take one hand off either the mouse or the asdw which kinda leaves me vulnerable for a while, I'd suggest something but I'm honestly not sure how to fix it either.
The jutsu aesthetics are also pretty cool apart from the wind bullet which kinda looks like a spit, the white should be more faint imo. Speaking of which the character looks kinda dumb if we get him to run while making signs.
After a while I was having a great time teaching a new player al these little things and getting accustomed to the controls when a brazilian dude with more experience logged in. He didn't even wait before hitting us and completely neglected our warning that we were still getting accustomed to the controls. Afterwards he even kept killing the other dude who said he was going afk for a while (takes lots of skill to kill an afk player) and me while I was typing out of the arena, if there was a way of reporting him for unfriendly conduct or something on that line that'd be great, completely killed my mood to keep playing the game for that day.

As for the planned parts, I've been taking a peek at some ideas of the devs and I'll just post my thoughts on them.
Love the idea of making this a true world with real kages, I'm not sure if you're planning on expanding this even further but it could be interesting to have more jobs such as military police force, anbu, teachers, bounty hunters, etc and a major event for promotions from genins to chunins and jounins, have a set of rules written by the kage if you fail to follow those rules you could become a rogue ninja, etc etc etc
It'd also be cool (I think) if a battle didn't kill us but put us knocked out, then if the other player kept attacking then he'd kill us indeed and we wouldn't be able to play with that character anymore.
The idea of making chakra natures is also pretty neat!
Oh and last but definitely not least, we need character customization! Although I reckon with this many details it's probably already planned :D

tl;dr?
Pros:
-realism (kind of ironic I know but you get the idea, it's close to the anime/manga)
-graphics
-freedom of play
-jutsu aesthetics
-potential to grow amazingly well
-community driven game

Cons:
-can't report other players
-running might be tricky
-Aesthetics of running while making signs
-have to be stopped to make a handsign

All in all, great project with plenty of potential! Would donate but I've seen great projects fall before getting far (non-financial related reasons) and I can't give away my money for projects that die later on.

• Character Name: Blazefp

Offline Tsunayoshi

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tsunayoshi has no influence.
  • -Join the Vongola yoho
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kaiyō
Re: Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 17:03:13 »
I'd say everything is planned. Lol.

I'm sorry you experienced that, but Brazilians doesn't know English, so they dont understand at all. I dont think they actually care, that's just how they are, for some weird reason.

Try using Google Translate, and make your text Brazilian, that way maybe they'll do as you ask.

Welcome to SLO, if you want the real SLO experience, you  should play with one of the people in the forums(that speak English lol).

^^
  • Character Name: Tsunayoshi Kaiyo

Offline Malix

• Social Media Manager
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Academy Student Poster
  • Malix has no influence.
  • I write stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 17:03:45 »
Just to address some of your concerns:

- It's a pre-alpha client that only has a "deathmatch" mode. There's really no point in adding a report player option. Even in the final version of the game there's no use for a report player option as you will likely be safe in villages. Maybe in later versions (beta perhaps) they could add a pk flag option...but in general it's a waste of time to implement options that wouldn't have any use in the final version of the game.

- Running is indeed tricky but you get used to it. Having the speed adjustable is required due to chakra cost at max speed but the actual keys used will likely be configurable at release.

- All aesthetics are likely to be reworked or adjusted

- Looking back at my mmo experience, most of the time hotkeys are set to the numbers or function keys in the same way hand seals are. This is not really any different than what gamers are used to. You have to get used to switching from the wasd to the numbers as quickly as possible. But remember your speed is not linked to the W button, so you can still move while doing hand seals.

As for a way to make it easier, you can look into a gaming mouse that has a keypad (im using the razer naga), this way my thumb controls all hand seals without ever having to let go of WASD or the mouse.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 17:08:19 by Malix »
  • Character Name: Keizo Akira

Offline Blazefp

• Academy Student Poster
  • Blazefp has no influence.
  • What a drag....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 17:29:32 »
I'm sorry you experienced that, but Brazilians doesn't know English, so they dont understand at all. I dont think they actually care, that's just how they are, for some weird reason.

Try using Google Translate, and make your text Brazilian, that way maybe they'll do as you ask.

Welcome to SLO, if you want the real SLO experience, you  should play with one of the people in the forums(that speak English lol).

^^

Thanks for the welcoming.
Hehe I'm portuguese so I can actually understand what he says and wrote to him both in pt and en. It didn't kill my experience only bothered me a bit.

Just to address some of your concerns:

- It's a pre-alpha client that only has a "deathmatch" mode. There's really no point in adding a report player option. Even in the final version of the game there's no use for a report player option as you will likely be safe in villages. Maybe in later versions (beta perhaps) they could add a pk flag option...but in general it's a waste of time to implement options that wouldn't have any use in the final version of the game.

- Running is indeed tricky but you get used to it. Having the speed adjustable is required due to chakra cost at max speed but the actual keys used will likely be configurable at release.

- All aesthetics are likely to be reworked or adjusted

- Looking back at my mmo experience, most of the time hotkeys are set to the numbers or function keys in the same way hand seals are. This is not really any different than what gamers are used to. You have to get used to switching from the wasd to the numbers as quickly as possible. But remember your speed is not linked to the W button, so you can still move while doing hand seals.

As for a way to make it easier, you can look into a gaming mouse that has a keypad (im using the razer naga), this way my thumb controls all hand seals without ever having to let go of WASD or the mouse.

I understand that the devs shouldn't waste time on underused features but there's always the risk that someone starts spamming the chat or insulting people or whatever so I think a report button will always be helpful.

I know most mmo's hotkeys are the numbers but they also usually only require to press one number per attack and the character can be moved with the mouse, here is a bit trickier because you move with your left hand but have to aim with your right hand so you either do one thing or another while you're doing handsigns. But yeah I don't really see any solution for that either so idk xD
I got a Trust GXT 35, has plenty of buttons but not enough for every handsign. I'm not gonna buy a 50€+ mouse to play SLO though.
  • Character Name: Blazefp

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 20:24:34 »
Welcome to SLO ^^
And a report button would actually be useful in the full game tbh.
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Diamond Lee

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Diamond Lee has no influence.
  • Taijutsu User- Combat Team member of Heathen
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
  • Organization: Heathen

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 20:56:33 »
Welcome to SLO ^^
idk... ngl I would be afraid of Brazilians spamming that button like angry 4channers
Let the power of youth wash over you and fill you with strength!

-lethal dankness

Offline Malix

• Social Media Manager
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Academy Student Poster
  • Malix has no influence.
  • I write stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 21:32:21 »
Most games have a "Ignore player" option in chat. A report player option requires someone to monitor and enforce it which is much more tedious.
  • Character Name: Keizo Akira

Offline Diamond Lee

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Diamond Lee has no influence.
  • Taijutsu User- Combat Team member of Heathen
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
  • Organization: Heathen

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 00:02:30 »
To add on to what Malix said, if there's someone that's being annoying in the chat, then remember the /mute command.
Let the power of youth wash over you and fill you with strength!

-lethal dankness

Offline Toratsume Nyshn

• Genin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Toratsume Nyshn has no influence.
  • Morigakure Elder
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Heathen,

Glory to the Black Rose
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:41 »
Well... running is tricky for first timers.... especially speed control and stuff... but once you play the game a lot, you'll get accustomed to it :)

And about casting jutsus... with more experience, you'll be able to weave the hand seals faster and get back to the mouse.
BR players do irritate me (not you psychorx you're bae <3 ) and I'd like to have a report button. But not in this stage of the game... because it would be irrelevant (imo)

Anyways keep training and you'll become skilled enough to beat that BR who harassed you :)
Good luck!

Offline Kings_Head

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 05:51:33 »
Welcome to SLO ^^
i agree i would like to report your hax sometimes xD
Nobleblood Leader for the Great Kirishima Clan
"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?"

Offline Ghost0000

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 07:43:07 »
Welcome to SLO hope you enjoy
  • Character Name: Ghost Raiu