Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64464
Latest: mozgyou
New This Month: 333
New This Week: 10
New Today: 10
Stats
Total Posts: 76685
Total Topics: 22229
Most Online Today: 1181
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 779
Total: 790
EdithSoure
Veronaeay
Google (AdSense)
Google (8)

Author Topic: Why the practical test is retarded  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Why the practical test is retarded
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 14:22:08 »
The only thing I could give against it being that people who scored incredibly poorly on the first & second test, are able to still get enough points by simply rekking their opponent (if the opponent did well at both first & second test but aren't doing as prominent in the third they would lose their chance even though they overall did better.)

Oh this is not a problem. It is for that reason that each player has to do well in every test. The sense of responsibility should prevail. We don't want the "Oh I should not be worried with this shit Theoretical test, I'll do better in the Practical test." Then you won over your opponent in Practical test but have insufficient points. You'll be reminded with the points you could have gathered had you done better in the previous test.

But that's what you have. You can get all 500 points you need to become kage from the practical test, making the other two irrelevant.
IF you totally rek your opponent without suffering any damage.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 14:27:34 by Phone Star »
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Cedie

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Cedie has no influence.
  • "Illusion prompts the beginning of flaring action"
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kurama
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 14:23:54 »
^That's surely gonna happen if your opponent is extremely weak and he couldn't do damage on you retaining your health points and consequently the points you get. The 500 points in this test is given so you have enough allowance, as we expect you will lose health points in the process. Giving you sufficient points like 350 or something is very tight we may end up with no one winning.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 14:26:27 by Phone Star »
  • Character Name: Cedie
Maroon = Moderator's POV.
Black = Normal me. :-*

Offline Charlie

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 14:39:17 »
^That's surely gonna happen if your opponent is extremely weak and he couldn't do damage on you retaining your health points and consequently the points you get. The 500 points in this test is given so you have enough allowance, as we expect you will lose health points in the process. Giving you sufficient points like 350 or something is very tight we may end up with no one winning.

IMO you should give equal weight to each section.
  • Character Name: BDU Kirishima

Offline Cedie

• Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 14:45:32 »

Read my response to Nova.

Offline Charlie

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 15:25:11 »

Read my response to Nova.

You may be of the opinion that each part should play an equal role, but the system you created doesn't reflect that. Personally, I don't like the scoring on the last part. For the first two parts you can score a max of 410 points (110 and 300). This means that you need to survive with 90 hp left, so right off the bat half of the candidates are eliminated. You believe these will be close matches, so even fewer make it through. I don't disagree with a high failure rate, if the test is designed so the best score highest.

One problem I have is that the final test measures how much better you are than your opponent, not how much better you are than the candidate pool as a whole. It assumes that all of the players are of equal skill, a premise which I find laughable.

My second problem you acknowledged clearly. If your opponent is extremely weak you get a free ride to kage. Here's a hypothetical, Kono is an egotistical bastard. He applied for kage, but thought, "why bother practicing in game? I'm a god!" So he is popular enough and smart enough to make it through the first two rounds in a good position. He gets matched up with Leebz, who got every answer wrong on the second exam. Leebz takes a shit on Kono and makes it out with full HP. I would suggest that neither deserve to be kage, but under the current system Kono fails and Leebz passes. While this is going, on Mars and Remi are going to fight. They both did well on parts one and two, and each of them practiced and is in good fighting shape. It was a close match and Mars barely took it with 200 hp remaining. Neither become kage. So right now we have two people who might deserve kage, and two who don't. The only one who passes this test, as a whole, is someone who wouldn't meet my criteria for kage. I accept that this is outlandish, but this sort of situation is inevitable over many kage exams.

I have no stake in this, but I feel these are the general complaints coming from the community.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 15:31:52 »
i think its safe to say I am by far the  weakest
Player In terms of skill In The kage elections. I Realy don't expect to win...In a strait chidori boxing match I know there is no way I can win against Mars.  however there are other options now. A defensive style of play may be preferred to all out offensive.... Just food for thought

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 15:48:19 »
Also there is a possibility that neither Ken or limits will become kages if they end up fighting each other.
According to the actual system, if you win with low health then you will receive less points. Between the two above it will be a close combat and the winner will most likely have low health therefore he won't get enough points to become Kage even if he is maybe the best player in the whole community.

Now you guys are painting as if other candidates are no match and should not even try or think of fighting these two. While it is true (according to you) that these two are good players, the other candidates should try and give it a shot. Also, if I'm limits, practically why would I only fight Ken if I can safeguard more points fighting other candidates I can surely beat?

Because if Kono can't do it, and I'm fighting cmsurfer, Ken is limits' only other possible match

And Charlie made a brilliant point. This test tests how much better you are than your opponent, not how good you are in the candidate pool.
+rep for that
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 15:49:56 by Mars »
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline SirTroll

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 15:52:03 »
Another point that I feel is necessary to bring up is that this test is the most retarded of all of them, because

- It has the greatest weight. This test alone could win you the exam even if you scored literally 0 in the prior tests, especially if you got matched up with someone who is much worse than anyone else (Yes, other players are better than each other. I've been here for a little while, whereas mars has been here for fucking years, so he's obviously had more practice at this game's state.)

-It is the least applicable to the full release. Popularity is a measure of charisma, and the Theory test is a measure of intelligence and reasoning. Both are needed for a good kage. However, what does this test really test? In the game's state, skill=click timing and spamming WASD for a little while, which (I hope) will be nothing like the final release. Obviously you will need some click timing, but I don't see jousting living through to the FR.

-It deviates the most from the true nature of the exam. This exam is supposed to be representative of my character, correct? So, as a Genjutsu/Kenjutsu based character, why on earth am I being tested solely on my ability to use ninjutsu? I know that I'm not submitting a replacement test, but this test seems useless. Also, this cannot be representative of anyone, as one shinobi will only ever be able to use 2 natures (or 3 for the hidden hill village thing) and we are able to use 4 here?

TL;DR: this test is retarded, is improperly weighted, and is completely inaccurate as to what the final release kage will need to do.

I guess it would be better if all the free kage fought the same opponent though. (the ones with no inter-village competition should all face the same enemy)

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 15:53:29 »
i think its safe to say I am by far the  weakest
Player In terms of skill In The kage elections. I Realy don't expect to win...In a strait chidori boxing match I know there is no way I can win against Mars.  however there are other options now. A defensive style of play may be preferred to all out offensive.... Just food for thought
Apparently trapping someone in ED and then breathing fire against it damages the person.
Playing it defensive is definitely an option right now.
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Charlie

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 16:05:07 »
Another thing is that this is incredibly easy to game. Since you fight people from your village, two people from the same village could apply. Then one could throw the last portion and the other would be guaranteed kage.

However, I do think the outrage is unnecessary given that this is just a forum thing that the mods are putting on for our enjoyment.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 16:08:30 by Charlie »

Offline SirTroll

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 16:17:19 »
Another thing is that this is incredibly easy to game. Since you fight people from your village, two people from the same village could apply. Then one could throw the last portion and the other would be guaranteed kage.

However, I do think the outrage is unnecessary given that this is just a forum thing that the mods are putting on for our enjoyment.

If it is just a forum thing, I retract my statement.

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 16:24:55 »

If it is just a forum thing, I retract my statement.
Adding to that we are only kages for on the forums.
When there is more content new kage exams will be held.
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Cedie

• Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 16:49:08 »
Phew I easily get exhausted with long explanation.

1. If you got literally 0 in the previous exam you are eliminated as I have stated. Why would we let you proceed if you didn't pass or at least responsible enough to answer the second test. So in your hypothetical situation where Leebz got all wrong, he cannot proceed to the final test. So yes, the previous tests are not irrelevant or weighed less as you believe.

2. This is to test your basic skill and dexterity. Not your special skills or representation of yourself (Who said that?). If you aspire to be a Kage basic skill mastery should be easy.

3. To have a weak opponent may be tantamount to free ride. But, hey what can we do if your rival in your village is weak? You, therefore, are better and more deserving comparatively. As I've said, in real world if they have two candidates vying for presidency they have no choice but to be lead by either a weak or a weaker president.

4. Some say the previous two are irrelevant but look at your example if you scored 410 in the previous tests, isn't opting for 90 pts or 135 hp (x1.5) an advantage? Again this will be accumulated points.

5. People in Assorted Cluster should see this as a battle of territories, that someone is invading your territory, that Mars inviting cmsurfer for a fight means Mars trying to invade cmsurfer's village and he should defend it. The rest are just battling for one position in that certain village.

6. Correct me if I'm wrong, Charlie, you mean if he withdraws from the final test? The rival will not become a Kage automatically as he will be placed in Assorted Cluster to fight. Please read the mechanics.

7. If you have that mentality of "Oh he's better than me he's been here for years." then why did you join if you know you need more years and development to begin with?

8. This is a Kage Election. <-- That should speak a lot.

9. It is possible to have no Kage after this event and Vreg would be fine if that happens.

Now it makes me believe that the mid tiers (you gave this impression as you picture limits and Ken as above you) are prone to worries.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 16:51:12 by Phone Star »

Offline Charlie

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 18:04:40 »

6. Correct me if I'm wrong, Charlie, you mean if he withdraws from the final test? The rival will not become a Kage automatically as he will be placed in Assorted Cluster to fight. Please read the mechanics.

I meant that someone would purposely lose, not withdraw.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 18:06:13 by Phone Star »

Offline Cedie

• Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 18:12:02 »

I meant that someone would purposely lose, not withdraw.

Is that a problem? Why would you join the long test only to purposely lose? Also, it has nothing to do with how the election was designed. You could purposely lose anytime, at any scheme. It is not the moderators' problem though if you wanna lose. But I believe everyone here are eager to become a Kage.

Recent Topics

Top Posters

Mars
Reminance
Shivraj
m4r1us
Manuster
NinjaMirage
Nova