Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64454
Latest: migSlope
New This Month: 323
New This Week: 84
New Today: 12
Stats
Total Posts: 76573
Total Topics: 22119
Most Online Today: 1445
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 1012
Total: 1021
EdithSoure
Google (8)

Author Topic: Name changing  (Read 2363 times)

Offline misi4444

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • misi4444 has no influence.
    • View Profile
Name changing
« on: July 24, 2016, 14:44:28 »
I think we should be able to change our forum names, because that is common we just simply feel like we don't like our name, or just time to change it. There are thousands of reasons for that, but that is not the point. I bet moderators or other staff members have better things to do than dealing with name changes. I think it would be easier if we could just change it without permissions. This would also decrease the chance for multi accs.

Not to mention, aabout a week ago my name got changed by someone, who had the power for that, for fun and I had to wait hours until one of the mods fixed it. I could have just set it back, instead of waiting and bothering others, if I had such option.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 14:51:26 by misi4444 »

• Character Name: Yasei Kamakiri

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Name changing
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 16:16:27 »
No.

I'll be nice enough to summarize why:

• Changing your username requires you to also change your password due to how passwords are stored, that step happens through email after a username change is processed. People that have no access to their email would basically not be able to access their account and come complaining to us as soon as they changed their username.

• People will think twice before deciding to make a bad name for themselves, this won't be the case if you could just change your name afterwards.

• Username changes are a nice benefit/feature we reserve for our donators and we would like to keep it that way.

• Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Tsunayoshi

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tsunayoshi has no influence.
  • -Join the Vongola yoho
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kaiyō
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 16:21:31 »
I think we should be able to change our forum names, because that is common we just simply feel like we don't like our name, or just time to change it. There are thousands of reasons for that, but that is not the point. I bet moderators or other staff members have better things to do than dealing with name changes. I think it would be easier if we could just change it without permissions. This would also decrease the chance for multi accs.

Not to mention, aabout a week ago my name got changed by someone, who had the power for that, for fun and I had to wait hours until one of the mods fixed it. I could have just set it back, instead of waiting and bothering others, if I had such option.

Some donate only to get the name change. It's a donation feature, if you feel like changing your name, you know what to do.
  • Character Name: Tsunayoshi Kaiyo

Offline misi4444

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • misi4444 has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 16:30:09 »
Donating for changing your own name sounds extremly greedy for me, to be honest. Forums usually have options to allow members to change it through their profile panel, so no email needed, administrators can set it by a click. At least, people should be warned about it, when they register.

I told my reasons, that's it then.

Tsuna: suggestion topic is about suggestion new things or modification. No need to tell the obvious existing things :)
  • Character Name: Yasei Kamakiri

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 17:01:31 »
Donating for changing your own name sounds extremly greedy for me, to be honest. Forums usually have options to allow members to change it through their profile panel, so no email needed, administrators can set it by a click. At least, people should be warned about it, when they register.

I told my reasons, that's it then.

Tsuna: suggestion topic is about suggestion new things or modification. No need to tell the obvious existing things :)
I just explained you why username changes cannot occur without a forced email password reset, yet you bring out irrelevant things that have nothing to do with our forum software as an argument.

Next you talk about greediness, pointing at this argument:
  • Username changes are a nice benefit/feature we reserve for our donators and we would like to keep it that way.

Yet you fail to comprehend the two arguments that come before it, the main reasons why we don't allow username changes:
  • Changing your username requires you to also change your password due to how passwords are stored, that step happens through email after a username change is processed. People that have no access to their email would basically not be able to access their account and come complaining to us as soon as they changed their username.

• People will think twice before deciding to make a bad name for themselves, this won't be the case if you could just change your name afterwards.

I'll give you two more reasons why,

1. moderating a forum where members can freely change their name is a lot more difficult then knowing exactly who you're dealing with, like how we know we're dealing with you whenever you cause trouble and not whatever new identity you're trying to take.

2. in society, changing your name is possible, but it comes at an administrative cost, why do you expect there to be no administrative cost in this community?

Thing is, when someone is willing to spend some of their personal finance on our project, we know we're dealing with people that have SLO's best intrest at heart, their donation serves are proof in a way that they are not subject to the main arguments we have against name changes and therefore we allow them to get one.

Your suggestions has been respectfully denied.
  • Character Name: Vuregu