Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64066
Latest: travemunc
New This Month: 4159
New This Week: 125
New Today: 25
Stats
Total Posts: 73914
Total Topics: 20765
Most Online Today: 983
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 681
Total: 690
Google (9)

Author Topic: Anti-AFK Kill Mechanic  (Read 10675 times)

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • SpeakingRain has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Hyakki Yagyō

Anti-AFK Kill Mechanic
« on: November 01, 2016, 01:03:11 »

I'm suggesting we put a AFK mechanic in place, not only one that prevents damage when the player is afk, but also train  out of their noobish ways by using consequences for their existence.

Type /afk, and your character will lock in place. In five seconds the player will become immune to damage. The delay is to prevent players from using it as a block during a fight.

The training mechanism comes into play when a br tries to hit an afk player. If the br  hits the player times after the immunity kicks in, a warning "do not afk hit br" pops up on the screen. If the br tries to afk hits three times, then he is kicked from the server for five minutes.

The next offense in a day is ten minutes, then twenty, and then forty. If the br does it again, he will be banned from the server, never to annoy us non-brs again.

A alternative method is that any damage they try to inflict on an afk player will be dealt to the instead.

I personally prefer the former since afk killers usually have annoying, cancerous personalities attatched.

• Character Name: Ginko
Find true freedom. Join the Land of Wolves, free from the corrupt Kage system.

Offline Blazefp

• Academy Student Poster
  • Blazefp has no influence.
  • What a drag....
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-AFK Kill Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:02 »
Actually think the first is a good idea although it's late here I might be missing something. Also let's not over generalise, I met some good Brazilian guys over there, it's not like every br is an afk killer with cancerous personality although I admit most of the ones I found were br.
  • Character Name: Blazefp

Offline JT_EPIC

• Academy Student Poster
  • JT_EPIC has no influence.
  • Come Try me Bitches
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Heathen,

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:12:45 »
Lets do it
  • Character Name: Itsuki Raiu

Offline Diamond Lee

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Diamond Lee has no influence.
  • Taijutsu User- Combat Team member of Heathen
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
  • Organization: Heathen

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:51:23 »
Good post but:
I have poked fun at brs myself quite a bit, but I really don't like stereotyping:
There are plenty of br that come in game with their friends minding Theo own business not afk killing anyone. It ofhen happens that when one of us non brs come we start to rage at how damnit there's a br on the basis that we saw Portuguese in the chat. This game is for everyone. They have a right to play. I am not denying the fact that there are some cancer as hell br out there, but let me tell you that many afk killer players are not Brazilians. These non br dicks are probably branded as being br due to their overall dockyards and their not talking in the chat. We shouldn't make it "us" against "them", "non br" vs "br". I think believe that they should be integrated into the community, not ostracized, for example perhaps with a gradual implementation of a setting that translates to Portuguese some of SLO. And this would pave the way for a multilingual SLO game. If they (the many Brazilians that play this game regularly, but are not active on forums, do not people like Kamakiri Gin) are integrated into the forums and community they can bring a lot to this game, I'm sure of it.

I myself am quite guilty for on several occasions having made fun of br. I am ashamed of this and regret it, especially some times I did it in game. That's why I'm pledging right now to stop making fun of and stereotyping the Brazilians that are part of this community. So why don't we make this post about AFK Killers, and not target the brs and breed hate towards them. I realized that just hating them and making fun of them will only bring us into a vicious circle which is why I pledged ^^ to stop being mean to them. I'm sure rain that you did not mean this post as hating towards the br, but I felt like saying this.
Lol wrote a lot
Off topic 0-100
If ur still reading ur a beast lol.
Let the power of youth wash over you and fill you with strength!

-lethal dankness

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:00:19 »
While I'm sure everyone can agree that certain players are assholes, wouldn't it just be simpler to report those players in and let the rest lie as it is? If you're going to go afk, just log out onto the login-screen for a minute or two, then log back in and promptly destroy said ass-hats when you've got the time to concentrate on it.

It's an annoyance at best guys, but it's not worth spending the time and energy to come up with a specific hard-counter to -- as is the case with the majority of these Death-Match specific suggestions. The Dev Team's got better things to do right now.

Also, I must be a beast, because I stopped and read the above before posting.
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline Diamond Lee

• Special Jonin Poster
  • Diamond Lee has no influence.
  • Taijutsu User- Combat Team member of Heathen
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
  • Organization: Heathen

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 03:19:30 »
Haha lol u are a beast you managed to  grind through that garbage. I agree I don't see the reason one would get on to be afk.  I usually log out when i go afk. I only answered to talk about brs
Let the power of youth wash over you and fill you with strength!

-lethal dankness

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:15:41 »
In the past i would've totally agreed with implementing such a feature, but now i don't really care about them killing me whilst being afk.
Most of the time i just play or log out when i don't feel like it anymore.
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • DarthTyrael has no influence.
  • I try to assist wherever I can.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:37:47 »
I agree on the fact that Rain shouldn't have posted this in an 'us' against 'them' mentality (non-br vs br). However, I do understand her annoyance towards the players that lack the common sense to not attack a player if he is not doing anything, BR or not.

Addressing aside, there are other ways to avoid being AFK-killed. Logging out, as previously mentioned, or sitting on top of the Kage building will most certainly avoid getting killed by the new players. Or just running to a side of the map where no one ever comes.

"A village without a Kage is lost for some time, but a Kage without a village is lost forever"

Join Hidden Dust's Discord server!

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:19 »
I thought "br" meant "beyond retarded" and the fact that they're generally Brazilian was a joke/afterthought. I already know there are some awesome Brazilians (psychorx aka Kamakiri Gin)

I'm just going to make a new post until this goes further into the "Not All Brazilians!!!" rabbit hole of off topic that I'm not even goinng to bother to read because you're preaching to the choir.

I just prefer people to have consequences for their actions, but hey, that's probably me being old fashioned.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:16:56 by Nova »

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 10:15:39 »
I'm just going to make a new post until this goes further into the "Not All Brazilians!!!" rabbit hole of off topic that I'm not even goinng to bother to read because you're preaching to the choir.

I just prefer people to have consequences for their actions, but hey, that's probably me being old fashioned.

I understand but i doubt the devs would work on something like that, as many people have asked the same thing before :p
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 10:17:11 »
Oh, carry on then XD it'd just be nice

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:37:35 »
We are implementing an afk mechanism as soon as we release our upcoming permanent character statistics storage and leaderboards. The afk mechanism will automatically kick in after 5-10 minutes (maybe the community can decide the exact threshold) of inactivity and it will show an afk label next to the persons name along with making them immune to damage until they move again. No one will get penalties for hitting an afk person since those hits won't do damage.
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 10:51:49 »
We are implementing an afk mechanism as soon as we release our upcoming permanent character statistics storage and leaderboards. The afk mechanism will automatically kick in after 5-10 minutes (maybe the community can decide the exact threshold) of inactivity and it will show an afk label next to the persons name along with making them immune to damage until they move again. No one will get penalties for hitting an afk person since those hits won't do damage.

I'd say 5 min threshold (chatting is included in activity) + an option to do it manually.
To avoid exploit for chakra regeneration, I'd suggest to turn that (+any type of regeneration) off while in the AFK state.

Perhaps like a sort of Freeze/Unfreeze command but with god mode immunity and without regen. That could work.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:56:12 by DarthTyrael »

"A village without a Kage is lost for some time, but a Kage without a village is lost forever"

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 10:59:55 »

I'd say 5 min threshold (chatting is included in activity) + an option to do it manually.
To avoid exploit for chakra regeneration, I'd suggest to turn that (+any type of regeneration) off while in the AFK state.

Perhaps like a sort of Freeze/Unfreeze command but with god mode immunity and without regen. That could work.
Manual afk sounds retarded to me, it can be too easily abused. The system will decide when you are afk. And yeah chatting + movement sounds about good to be the activity determinant.
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:21:22 »
Manual afk sounds retarded to me, it can be too easily abused. The system will decide when you are afk. And yeah chatting + movement sounds about good to be the activity determinant.

I get that, hence I posted about turning off chakra regeneration. It would need a lot more adjustments in order to avoid full exploitation though.

Quite frankly I thought it would be a nice feature as a security measure for the 'short' afk periods. (Toilet break, getting food, getting a smoke).
Most of these things last under 5 minutes and within these 5 minutes you could easily get killed.

In the case of non perma-death zones this wouldn't matter since you'd just be teleported back to your hospital, no biggy. In the case of perma-death zones, you really shouldn't go AFK unless it's absolutely necessary, but you'd probably have people with you to cover you for that short time period.