Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64066
Latest: travemunc
New This Month: 4159
New This Week: 125
New Today: 25
Stats
Total Posts: 73914
Total Topics: 20765
Most Online Today: 983
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 736
Total: 745
Google (9)

Author Topic: Staying in shape?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Kayleb

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kayleb has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
  • Organization: Roguhanta

Staying in shape?
« on: January 11, 2016, 16:45:23 »
I put this in the suggestion section because it is, in a sense, a suggestion, but I'd like to hear people's opinions on it also.

I'd just like to bring up the idea of your character having to "stay in shape." This would mean that if you do not regularly access your character, say, every 10 days, your character's top stamina will worsen gradually, by a percentage. All you'd have to do was run for 1 second every 10 days for your character not to lose stamina. For a game like this to be exciting, the players need to be current, meaning the majority of people would play regularly. The best way for this to happen is for people to have an incentive to play, ie. losing the maximum stamina of their character. In real life, if you did not do exercise for a decent amount of time, your body would begin to lose its overall fitness, this should happen with SLO.

I'd even suggest that things like maximum jumping height and running speed should be altered by the lack of play.

• Character Name: Dawg

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Tameshi Hinode has no influence.
  • See trough the darkness.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode

• Organization: Midori Ken
Re: Staying in shape?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 17:20:36 »
A very good idea.
Id make some additions to it,though.

1)You shouldnt lose too much fighting prowess.
Some people might stop playing the game for a few weeks or even months and come back later,others might be on vacation,have internet problems or somethign else.
Its nice to know that at least some part of your strenght will remain(as long as your character doesnt die,at least).

2)Punish inactivity and reward activity
That means,if you dont train regulary,you get out of shape,up to a point where you could have,lets say,a -70% debuff.
To get your old strenght back,you would have to start training again and the longer you didnt train,the harder it will be.
But i also suggested to reward activity.
If you train sometimes,you wont get out of shape but you also wont get much better.
But if you train a lot(like,multiple minutes everyday)you would gain a buff that gives you up to +30% to your stats.
To maintain that buff,you would have to train everyday.
The less you train,the smaller the buff you get....until it turns into a debuff,eventually.

3)Interesting training
While you can sparr to get better at combat,you could also be able to do some,,minigames''that fit the world of the game.
In age of wulin for example,you can play a minigame everyday,together with other players.
Its basically a chain of buttons you have to press,every round,another player has to do it.
The longer the chain,the better the results of the training.
Making a error will reset the chain.
In SLO,you could do that,or other minigames,alone or with a group.
Beeing good at them and training together with others,would speed up your training.
Thats not only a nice way to relax,its also a good way to meet new players and talk with each other while training.

These minigames would have the main purpose of staying in shape,but could also train your stats a little bit(like faster movement speed or jump height for example).
  • Character Name: Tameshi Hinode

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 18:37:45 »
great idea... i'm all for it!!

but it should only affect stamina so as to not affect your overall fighting strength.
like Tameshi hinode said but the negative effects should not be as heavy as 70% debuff

because stamina is used for other offencive and defencive stuff. having this kind of handy cap is way to harsh. if a training exercise gives you 10 stamina than a 20% debuff would give you 8 however this should last for as long as you were inactive after the 10 day period also this should affect the rate you regain chakra

all for the activity bonus but again only 20%
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 18:43:34 by cmsurfer »

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 18:51:45 »
Only stamina is a bit boring i think(and realistically,you would also lose muscles and your reflexes might not be as good as before anymore).
Also,we dont even know what stamina will be used for exactly,in the final version of the game.
A overall buff or debuff offers passive advantages for everyone,no matter if you are a taijutsu user or a ninjutsu user,everyone would find it useful.

About the 70%....maybe 40%?
It would be enough to make you train,but not enough to make you feel like a weakling.

Offline Konohuro

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 19:23:56 »
This has been brought into discussion long time ago. The difference: not about stamina but about speed. We all reached the conclusion that this isn't such a good idea as it seems.
One may train 2 years irl to get to a very high amount of stamina/speed. Then something occurs in his life, he has to take a break for half a year and when he returns, everything he worked so hard to achieve is gone.

And every solution that you possibly thought of to resolve this, has already been brought into discussion and was disagreed. Things like: after you reached an apogee, you decrease due to lack of activity, regaining that performance would be faster. Still, it would only frustrate people and would encourage them to give up on playing the game.

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 20:19:11 »
I would really be interested in the counter arguments,about regaining your strenghth trough training.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 20:12:35 »

One may train 2 years irl to get to a very high amount of stamina/speed. Then something occurs in his life, he has to take a break for half a year and when he returns, everything he worked so hard to achieve is gone.

And every solution that you possibly thought of to resolve this, has already been brought into discussion and was disagreed. Things like: after you reached an apogee, you decrease due to lack of activity, regaining that performance would be faster. Still, it would only frustrate people and would encourage them to give up on playing the game.

what if it only effected the rate that your physical energy stat regenerated. this would give a small advantage to the more active players but no so dramatic that you feel weak by comparison.

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 15:18:32 »
This has been brought into discussion long time ago. The difference: not about stamina but about speed. We all reached the conclusion that this isn't such a good idea as it seems.

The getting out of shape would be realistic, However i wouldn't want to lose everything because of something frustrating or life changing that has or had occured in my life. Meaning that i would have to take a break from the game like you already said @Konohuro .
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 18:03:39 »
True,thats why i think you shouldnt lose,,everything'',just a part of your strenght(not talking about strenght as a attribute now).
And that part should be easy to get back,if you start training again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 13:59:09 by Tameshi Hinode »

Offline Kayleb

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 19:37:05 »

The getting out of shape would be realistic, However i wouldn't want to lose everything because of something frustrating or life changing that has or had occured in my life. Meaning that i would have to take a break from the game like you already said @Konohuro .

The idea isn't that you'd lose much. Just enough to make you log on for at least a few minutes.

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 22:45:29 »
This is a good suggestion, we need to figure out a way for it to affect the character enough to make it significant but not so much that it becomes a deal breaker.
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Konohuro

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:33 »

what if it only effected the rate that your physical energy stat regenerated. this would give a small advantage to the more active players but no so dramatic that you feel weak by comparison.

This may work @Vreg

Offline Kayleb

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 13:05:18 »
This is a good suggestion, we need to figure out a way for it to affect the character enough to make it significant but not so much that it becomes a deal breaker.

This is exactly what I mean. It's supposed to simulate "real life" Naruto. If you didn't train in a significant amount of time, you'd lose some of your skill. I've seen it in a game before and it was definitely good. It reduced your shot accuracy and strength etc. It was nothing insane, but it made sure you'd be active on your character.