Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 63874
Latest: Ponaldbiz
New This Month: 3967
New This Week: 29
New Today: 12
Stats
Total Posts: 73432
Total Topics: 20398
Most Online Today: 986
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 983
Total: 992
Andreaseqp
Google (AdSense) (5)
Google (3)

Author Topic: The Lie That Never Lived: Shionbi Life Online  (Read 42304 times)

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
Re: The Lie That Never Lived: Shionbi Life Online
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 10:16:15 »
Lol just came back to see how the forum is after all these years. Im pretty sure i was the 3rd dev after Saitou? I remember winning a tournament to be the concept artist when i was 13/14 lol. Saitou is right, this game will never get made under big V, I'm honestly so surprised there are still people thinking he'll come back to it. Consider that I saw the game progress to the point it is now in terms of gameplay and graphics in the first year i was on board. Even when Vreg had about 7-10 active devs working entirely for FREE, as well as pretty consistant donations including a 2k donation, Vreg added almost nothing additional coding wise, claiming plugins from the unity store as his contributions. I mean we had guys like Matt Alecs working like 40 hour weeks on a game he was getting nothing back from, pretty much all of his work was never integrated (including the village). Meanwhile Vreg refused to accept any of the applicants for coding roles because they 'didnt meet his standard' but decided to spend the donations on buying himself a Laptop instead of hiring a coder to help add some functionality. You probably are wondering why I didnt leave earlier, but this game was something I desperately wanted to happen, i mean i was pumping out concept art and doing fucking fortnightly dev updates like an idiot for fuck sake lol. I was a dumb idealistic teenager as well i guess. I mean to be honest we did have the personel and community to achieve it if Vreg had put in the same amount of work his devs were, the problem was after that first year he just didnt give a shit, and yeah, it turned into something he could turn into a side income stream as long as he kept spinning the message of 'update soon',  and if it worked out he could claim responsiblity and bragging rights for it.

Eh tbh it didnt turn out too bad for me personally, I improved my skills loads and have got jobs from the work ive done on this project, but I feel sorry for certain devs who put CRAZY hours into this project (MATT) and didnt have anything to show for it, as well as the donators who basically gave vreg some extra pocket money. If you havent already GIVE UP AND LEAVE THIS PROJECT it will never happen, and its really not worth the time praying Vregs gonna miraculously have a change heart and quit the job that apparently bought him a mansion and a porsche to work on an anime fan project. If Vreg reads this and decides to prove me wrong, youre welcome.

Peace

+1
Can vouch, this is 100% accurate and the OG community figured it out a long time ago. People only come back for the memories and memes we all had together minus Vregs false promises.
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline Fayte

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Fayte has no influence.
  • Shinobi Origins Lead Dev
    • View Profile
    • Ayphix Entertainment LLC
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 13:35:20 »
I'm going to SOMEWHAT defend Vreg here, -gasp- I know! Most of the newer people don't know me and probably wont know why that's so shocking.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way I did say "somewhat" there's a lot to be mad at Vreg over. Especially those who donated their time and effort to the project only for the client to say "by Vreg" and not "By the SLO team" all the while not being compensated for their work while the project lead takes every penny. Which is the real tragedy here, because at the end of the day, the word is "donated" people donated their money to the project which means you should not have been expecting any return on that investment Vreg didn't sign a contact with you that says he'd update the project if you donated. You were donating money based on the current state of development it's no different than steam green light. You want to make sure the money you put in is what you think the game is worth in it's current state. I'm sorry that you feel cheated but at the end of the day you have to be your own advocate in this situation and donate (or not) based on your means and how much the current state of the game is worth to you.

Now let's debunk this ridiculous theory that Vreg is making bank off this site.
Google Adense CTR or "Click Through Rate" for Belgium where he is located is 0.1% or about $0.024 the most people ever online at once was 4232 people. Which if every one of them clicked an ad, would be $101, do you really believe 4232 people REALLY clicked the ad's? C'mon, on the other hand the rate for just "seeing" an ad is much worse and as I saw, previously with 4232 just seeing the ad (which most used ad blocker I'm willing to bet). Vreg was making about $5 a day AT MOST when the site was at it's peak from advertisements. And if you're smart, which most people I know have enough javascript coding experience to do, if you use tamper monkey and in one singe short line of code can disable the "please turn off adblocker" message incredibly easy. I'm not advocating for this as you make so little off adsense anyway that literally turning off the message is just salting a wound. Please do not contact me and ask me for the code to do this, I won't be supplying it.

Now, for the final part, it's likely that what's going on is a mix of three things
1. A lack of experience, making a networked game is not easy and unless you have a lot of experience, either from designing your own networking systems, or working on a networked game and learning from someone. Then it tends to be buggy and EVERYTHING you need to add to the system needs to be networked and taken into account. Let alone trying to make things server-authoritative, there's systems out there that are open source that make this easier. From what I remember talking to Vreg, he's using the base Unity networking system, which is trash for a server authoritative system.( Unity literally abandoned it: https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001252086-UNet-Deprecation-FAQ)
Basic movement and hit detection isn't too hard but when you need to sync advanced systems like melee combat, the moving hitbox of the melee weapon can be very difficult to get networked properly. The basic Jutsu in the game already are rather simple to get working, most of them are basic "press a button and the server checks to see if a player is in a hitbox at this location at this time". The earth-dome Jutsu is nearly laughably easy to get working, which hey, if a cool ability is easy to get working then great! The more value you can add to a game the better, especially if that value was rather easy to implement and gives the players more options. Especially since other things are incredibly difficult. This is probably why the updates are taking so long. Networked Melee combat isn't easy.

2. Doing Dev while having a day-job is hard, trust me, I have my own projects and when you're working 50+ hours a week, trying to find time for your projects can be difficult. Especially when you have a family like I do.

3. Boredom, when you're working solo-programmer on a project, especially if your responsible for the entire system is BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG. And letting another coder in to help is risky, because either they do good work and you need to learn how they did things because even if you're a pro-coder looking into code you've never seen before takes time to dissect. Or you get a coder who comes in and flubbs everything up and now you're doing twice the work because you need to rip their garbage out and replace it. Which wastes time and money, source control helps a little with this, but still can be a pain. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring in another coder because it's much easier, faster and more pleasant to be able to hand off "You work on the server, I work on the client and we meet in the middle" instead of having to do both. Which feels like your doubling up work like "I already did this on the client... now I have to replicate it on the server.... UUUUUUUGHH!!!......."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 14:09:00 by Fayte »
  • Character Name: Fayte

Offline XxsjrapsxX

• Academy Student Poster
  • XxsjrapsxX has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 15:33:11 »
Lol just came back to see how the forum is after all these years. Im pretty sure i was the 3rd dev after Saitou? I remember winning a tournament to be the concept artist when i was 13/14 lol. Saitou is right, this game will never get made under big V, I'm honestly so surprised there are still people thinking he'll come back to it. Consider that I saw the game progress to the point it is now in terms of gameplay and graphics in the first year i was on board. Even when Vreg had about 7-10 active devs working entirely for FREE, as well as pretty consistant donations including a 2k donation, Vreg added almost nothing additional coding wise, claiming plugins from the unity store as his contributions. I mean we had guys like Matt Alecs working like 40 hour weeks on a game he was getting nothing back from, pretty much all of his work was never integrated (including the village). Meanwhile Vreg refused to accept any of the applicants for coding roles because they 'didnt meet his standard' but decided to spend the donations on buying himself a Laptop instead of hiring a coder to help add some functionality. You probably are wondering why I didnt leave earlier, but this game was something I desperately wanted to happen, i mean i was pumping out concept art and doing fucking fortnightly dev updates like an idiot for fuck sake lol. I was a dumb idealistic teenager as well i guess. I mean to be honest we did have the personel and community to achieve it if Vreg had put in the same amount of work his devs were, the problem was after that first year he just didnt give a shit, and yeah, it turned into something he could turn into a side income stream as long as he kept spinning the message of 'update soon',  and if it worked out he could claim responsiblity and bragging rights for it.

Eh tbh it didnt turn out too bad for me personally, I improved my skills loads and have got jobs from the work ive done on this project, but I feel sorry for certain devs who put CRAZY hours into this project (MATT) and didnt have anything to show for it, as well as the donators who basically gave vreg some extra pocket money. If you havent already GIVE UP AND LEAVE THIS PROJECT it will never happen, and its really not worth the time praying Vregs gonna miraculously have a change heart and quit the job that apparently bought him a mansion and a porsche to work on an anime fan project. If Vreg reads this and decides to prove me wrong, youre welcome.

Peace

+1
Can vouch, this is 100% accurate and the OG community figured it out a long time ago. People only come back for the memories and memes we all had together minus Vregs false promises.

join the discord man, we have a discord for this community owned by vreg, which, if you were there, either he is making a joke or actually working on it, but he said at 50k members he may release some sort of an update, though i doubt it would be anything mega large, please dont start making alts though, as he is keeping track of how many people are joining per day, if that number goes up by a large ammount not giving him enough time to finish the update he plans on, he may not release, anyways, here is the discord link man, hope to see yall in there!     https://discord.gg/9vt6MdA
  • Character Name: Yamoto

Offline Shuninx

• Academy Student Poster
  • Shuninx has no influence.
  • Call my Ryuu.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kinshēdo
  • Organization: Katakiuchi
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 16:20:38 »
join the discord man, we have a discord for this community owned by vreg, which, if you were there, either he is making a joke or actually working on it, but he said at 50k members he may release some sort of an update, though i doubt it would be anything mega large, please dont start making alts though, as he is keeping track of how many people are joining per day, if that number goes up by a large ammount not giving him enough time to finish the update he plans on, he may not release, anyways, here is the discord link man, hope to see yall in there!     https://discord.gg/9vt6MdA

who's gonna tell him?
  • Character Name: Ryuu Kinshedo

Offline adithya

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 18:18:57 »
I wrote this?? (bump)
Hello, I'm the first member of SLO,
Press X to doubt

Also goddamn this post was hilarious to read through lmfao

SLO not happening was kinda obvious. But if it ever does, it'll be soonTM.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 18:25:23 by adithya »

Offline Whatasnipe

• Writer
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Whatasnipe has no influence.
  • Burn their mongrel hides
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kirishima Clan
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 00:35:12 »
EternalEyes is absolutely right, Matt A. was doing a shit load of work on a regular basis while Vuregu crawled his way to completing that 10th grade computer science project called the kenjutsu update after months of hyping it. EternalEyes concept art speaks for itself, this man was cooking up dope concept art for free. All of their work was used as visual hype generators for the big nothing coming down the pipe. It was sad to see the state of development from inside the dev chat, then casually have to not mention to the community that nothing is going to be developed for the foreseeable future.

SLO is a giant piss take, if you have hope left let go of it. It's a naruto game, Vreg doesnt own the IP and it isn't as easy to get around as not referencing any naruto characters. Plus Ninja Tensei was 15x a better game and that failed too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Love my old boys from here, but vreg is a stunned cunt

R.I.P NaruSimu

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 13:24:03 »
here is the thing about the IP.
Chakra is not something that can be owned by any IP. And its such a soft magic system in naruto, that you can build a hard magic system based on it for the game that they can’t touch you.

So as long as you don’t reference any world spacific content, such as jutsu, character, nations, economy, or the like... Naruto can’t touch you.

Also Naruto stole heavily from the journey to the west so any of those characters and ability’s such as transformation, monkey king, or elemental powers are all fair use.

A game like this could still work.

The other thing is the art style is covered by the IP so you have to develop your assets so they are at least 20% different from the original.

A good example of this is C3PO’s red arm. Disney did this to avoid paying royalties to Goarge on the toy sales.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 13:33:56 by NinjaMirage »

Offline Lumen

• Genin Poster
  • Lumen has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 17:29:19 »
Logs out

4 YEARS LATER...

Logs in

Yikes...
  • Character Name: KilaJoule

Offline Mukade

• Academy Student Poster
  • Mukade has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 06:00:10 »
Logs out

6 YEARS LATER...

Logs in

Small lake update...
I feel sorry for all the devs and donators.
  • Character Name: dieu

Offline Manuster

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 16:30:47 »
Logs out

6 MONTHS LATER..

Logs in

shitposts

RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline Mukade

• Academy Student Poster
  • Mukade has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 19:53:09 »
says the guy whose post is actually useless
  • Character Name: dieu

Offline taigakun

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 15:14:05 »
This was quite the read. Haven't been on here for almost 2 years så wanted to check it out and see the game development, but mostly the community. As nice as it was to see all the OGs give their takes on the subject, it's also quite the shame that(at the moment) SLO has been a letdown. I know for a fact that if the game even had come a decent way in development by this time(proper alpha, early beta), the community behind it would have made it one of the best games out there.

Offline zehnor

• Academy Student Poster
  • zehnor has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 20:58:08 »
Vocês que doaram, cobrem ele, procurem pelo nome Vreg Andreasyan
Ele tem Instagram e Facebook, foi investido dinheiro neste projeto, mandem mensagem e exijam respostas

Offline Rory

• Academy Student Poster
  • Rory has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 14:58:45 »
Anyone checked out Nin Online yet?
  • Character Name: Rory

Offline Ken

• Hidden Snow Kage