Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64454
Latest: migSlope
New This Month: 323
New This Week: 84
New Today: 13
Stats
Total Posts: 76542
Total Topics: 22109
Most Online Today: 1445
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 918
Total: 931

Author Topic: Alternative Jutsu System  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Accelerator has no influence.
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
Alternative Jutsu System
« on: October 10, 2016, 19:41:51 »
I have a suggestion for the jutsu system since  at the moment it is quite annoying to type out a jutsu while moving around and it favors people who can reach around their keyboard with one hand. I am going to propose a possible alternative system that might rectify the issue.

I would like to point out that I thought of this over 1 week, so any comments and criticisms are very much welcome.

Lets start with the basic guideline:

Spoiler: show

1-1-X-X = Fire
2-2-X-X = Wind
3-3-X-X = Lightning
4-4-X-X = Earth
5-5-X-X = Water

X can only go from 1-5, which should be easy for anyone to type out while holding on a movement key(WASD). Of course you can make it go from 1-6 or however much you want (preferably below 7 so we don't start with the same issue) but 5 seems proper as there are 5 main chakra types.

This allows for 25 single chakra-type jutsus which, in my opinion, seems sufficient (and fits the limit for 20 on release). If required, you can add a fifth number for 125 possible jutsus which will definitely be enough.

Kekkai Genkai:

Now, the reason for repeating numbers is to allow for kekkai genkai. Let’s take lava release for example, which is earth based and fire supported (or vice versa)

4-1-X-X = Lava
Or/And
1-4-X-X = Lava

In theory, if we make 1-4 and 4-1 interchangeable then we will have 25 jutsus available, however if 1-4-2-2 is a different jutsu from 4-1-2-2 then we can have up to 50 lava jutsus with this implementation.

Now, for kekkai tota, if they will be implemented, they will need 3 main chakras thus leaving 5 or 30 combinations depending on which method you go with.

Dust release for example can go 6 ways:

Spoiler: show

1-2-4-X
1-4-2-X
2-1-4-X
2-4-1-X
4-1-2-X
4-2-1-X

These can either be all the same jutsu depending on the X or different dust release techniques. I would believe that making them all different will allow for a nice variation of jutsus.

I am hoping for this to make combat more fluid and less strained feeling :P

• Character Name: Accelerator

Offline mamoudou52404

• Special Jonin Poster
  • mamoudou52404 has no influence.
  • "Can I get a 'hoyaaah'?"
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Tsukegami Clan
  • Organization: nah
Re: Alternative Jutsu System
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 19:45:44 »
I didnt understand a word this said
  • Character Name: Harukoo *Tsukegami?

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 19:48:07 »
I didnt understand a word this said

What did you not understand? It is a simple suggestion on a different way of using jutsus.

P.S. I will edit the main thread with any improvements/criticisms so new readers can skip the discussion
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 19:53:36 by Accelerator »

Offline Manuster

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 19:54:14 »
Lovely idea, however this only rectifies the problem for elemental ninjutsu.

What about ninjutsu that has no specific chakra nature? or fuuinjutsu? genjutsu? summonings? senjutsu? and forbidden jutsu?

I am aware that all of the above may have element related jutsu but I don't think that 25 or even 125 options is enough to cover all of the above.

If an individual is having trouble using one hand to move and cast jutsu then I would advise using two hands. With enough practice a 4 combo jutsu can be cast in less than a second which, even in this fast paced game isn't alot of time.

If that's still not satisfactory, I could advise you to do what I do; I hold my pinky on one of the WASD keys (keeping me moving in one direction) and use my other four fingers to type out jutsu. This isn't as fast as it could be but it is useful for casting while moving in battle.
RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 20:09:55 »
Lovely idea, however this only rectifies the problem for elemental ninjutsu.

What about ninjutsu that has no specific chakra nature? or fuuinjutsu? genjutsu? summonings? senjutsu? and forbidden jutsu?

I am aware that all of the above may have element related jutsu but I don't think that 25 or even 125 options is enough to cover all of the above.

If an individual is having trouble using one hand to move and cast jutsu then I would advise using two hands. With enough practice a 4 combo jutsu can be cast in less than a second which, even in this fast paced game isn't alot of time.

If that's still not satisfactory, I could advise you to do what I do; I hold my pinky on one of the WASD keys (keeping me moving in one direction) and use my other four fingers to type out jutsu. This isn't as fast as it could be but it is useful for casting while moving in battle.

Drats! I knew I missed something, can't believe I forgot about the other attack styles. Yes that will be an issue, at the moment the only way I think I can accommodate is by making it more complicated and either make the jutsus longer or add letters to the start to signify the attack type, like  FGCVB then the number code. But this will probably over-complicate the system.

I'll have to think on that for longer before I can add to the idea.

Moving on, casting jutsus is not the issue at all, most people with a few minutes of practice can probably get it under a second too. The issue is not being able to turn if you use 2 hands or be in an awkward hand position if you use a finger to hold down a key, which gets annoying at times. I had in mind a way to have a compromise between both scenarios, though it clearly needs more work :P

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 20:37:32 »
I think I understood this and it's a cool idea though I'm not sure if this would change.
Reason being is that not all the same type of jutsu have the same starting handsigns (in naruto at least)
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 21:06:56 »
I think I understood this and it's a cool idea though I'm not sure if this would change.
Reason being is that not all the same type of jutsu have the same starting handsigns (in naruto at least)

Starting no but some hand signs are dominant to a specific elemental Jutsu like - tiger is to fire

The other types of Jutsu is a problem with this system but on the other side of the coin there is some real value to this sugeation.

If we devided the numbers up in to sections combate Jutsu 1-5
support Jutsu 6-0
Your still able to use one hand casting the Jutsu
With += serving for yin and yang if ever implemented.

There are 5 types that manuster mentioned that could fall with in the 6-0 range.

However no elemental combat Jutsu is a problem not rectified by this.  But last I heard there was not going to be any non elemental damage Jutsu like the rasangon
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 21:36:57 by cmsurfer »

Offline Fraudulent

• Pink Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Fraudulent has no influence.
  • The Rose That Grew From Concrete
    • View Profile
  • Organization: BlackboxYoru
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 22:09:54 »
I like the suggestion. It would help users understand elements on the keyboard quicker. You would automatically know that a justu is fire based when it starts with 1-1. Good suggestion.
internet sensation
also known as Snoopy
has a bigger dick than you

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 22:33:37 »
While I don't necessarily agree with the execution as a whole, I'm also of the mindset that having a sort of arrangement to *certain* jutsu types would be of great help when attempting to *memorize them*. Currently, it's not that difficult, and I also understand that 10 numbers can be re-organized in a multitude of ways, so as to allow for an incredibly diverse range of variation; However, the problem with certain jutsu containing similar keys --without a previous order setup having been made clear-- could result in confusion of several jutsu later on down the line, especially in the heat of combat. A system akin to Magicka --in that certain starter-numbers will always represent certain things, such as a the Fire Element-- could potentially help to solve the issue before it becomes one. E.g: 1-Fire, 2-Wind, 9-Any Rare Release As Designated By The User's Birth. Summons seem like they should just be a matter of chakra-channeling before unraveling a scroll, in my eyes anyway -- with the same going for something like Kenjutsu, etc.

1-X-X-X
2-X-X-X
9-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X
Et cetera

Again, I'm not entirely down for the increase in key-stroke efficiency (as certain, more complicated Jutsu should remain difficult to cast), but even a small level of organization could be of great benefit to the system as a whole.

Of course, if either of these ends up becoming too complicated or simply unnecessary as a whole, I don't see any reason to continue keeping them around. Pragmatism will always be the better option in my own opinion.
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 23:03:23 »
Regardless of the organization options I think many of us would agree that while the current numbers work just fine... there is still room for improvement.

Also @Accelerator
Check this out for another idea of how hand signs could change to incorporate neutral natures. And nature mix. But mine only goes as high as Kekkei Genki.
https://www.shinobilifeonline.com/index.php?topic=2524.msg39512#msg39512
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 19:18:54 by cmsurfer »

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 18:59:48 »
Will check that out :P

Yeah, I guess something we CAN take from this is to separate elements using numbers at the start of each jutsu

Offline DarthTyrael

• Hidden Dust Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • DarthTyrael has no influence.
  • I try to assist wherever I can.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 23:20:12 »
In all honesty I do think the organisation you suggested for elemental seals/combination is a nice little manner to remember hand seals @Accelerator

However I don't think you should restrict the amount of hand seals necessary to a total of 4, nor restrict the usage of numbers from 1-5. Opening up the rest of the numbers opens up a lot more possibility for (un)planned styles/mixtures of styles + a whole lot of hand seal combinations. (Thus a bunch of possible jutsus.)

+Rep for the suggestion though. It's a good one.

"A village without a Kage is lost for some time, but a Kage without a village is lost forever"

Join Hidden Dust's Discord server!

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Shivraj has no influence.
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 10:47:12 »
only problem is that you can't cast one seal two times.

1-1-X-X

1 to = represent 12 seals, and I personally like the idea a lot. It could be possible to start jutsus of the same element with 1 seal, but doing this would make the problem of you not being able to reach over.

I, personally, can reach over to = if I have my pinky on the d key (right key), so I don't see a problem, not to mention, I just let go of my mouse for a second if I have to cast a jutsu.
  • Character Name: Kazuki Raiu

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 17:22:40 »
That is another thing I overlooked, I didn't know that each number corresponded to hand seals, though in my defense elemental jutsus tend to share hand seals, like fire uses tiger at the start very often etc.

Recent Topics

Top Posters

Mars
Reminance
Shivraj
m4r1us
Manuster
NinjaMirage
Nova
taigakun
Fraudulent