Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64454
Latest: migSlope
New This Month: 323
New This Week: 84
New Today: 12
Stats
Total Posts: 76549
Total Topics: 22109
Most Online Today: 1445
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 1003
Total: 1016
FrankJScott
EdithSoure
Kyliebob
Robxsa
Google (AdSense)
Google (8)

Author Topic: #SLO Interviews - First edition  (Read 9732 times)

Offline animeoveraddict

Re: #SLO Interviews - First edition
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 14:52:02 »
I agree tho with the anonymous interviewee, it seems like they probably WOULD have more if even only 15 mins a day was spent working on the game. Fifteen minutes a day for two years, one of which being a leap year, that's 731 days. That's 10,965 minutes of time spent on the game, which SHOULD be enough time to get a little more done than we have already, and if ALL the devs did that, then it would be 10,965 minutes per dev, which means we could have had a LOT more finished. Just saying.
  • Character Name: Kashyo Yamazaki
-Proud maker of the best ramen in the Morigakure

:D

Offline IbrahimRafi

• Genin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • IbrahimRafi has no influence.
  • It’s hard to explain
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Raiu
  • Organization: Blackbox
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 14:54:54 »
I agree tho with the anonymous interviewee, it seems like they probably WOULD have more if even only 15 mins a day was spent working on the game. Fifteen minutes a day for two years, one of which being a leap year, that's 731 days. That's 10,965 minutes of time spent on the game, which SHOULD be enough time to get a little more done than we have already, and if ALL the devs did that, then it would be 10,965 minutes per dev, which means we could have had a LOT more finished. Just saying.
Tutor me maths pls
  • Character Name: Raiden

Offline animeoveraddict

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 14:57:19 »
Tutor me maths pls
XD
  • Character Name: Kashyo Yamazaki
-Proud maker of the best ramen in the Morigakure

:D

Offline Malix

• Social Media Manager
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Malix has no influence.
  • I write stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 15:05:55 »

By this math that`s about 183 hours which if you did an hour a day would be about 26 weeks worth. I guarantee you more work than that has been put into this by Vreg and Matt and some other long timers. Hell I`ve put in many hours over the Christmas break on something we didn`t end up using (sadface.jpg).

Not all the devs are coders, nor are they animators, nor are they all writers or concept artists.  So you cant expect us all to be doing the same job. We also have day jobs and our own lives, so some days are just not available. On top of that many of our team members have changed over the months, I myself have only been here since September.

So while yes if I was being paid, i would consider quitting my job and working on this 40 hours a week as this project is something I enjoy. But right now that`s not going to pay my mortgage sooo I`ll stick to the 90 min a weekday (450 min a week) I currently spend on it.

#justsaying
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 15:26:07 by Malix »
  • Character Name: Keizo Akira

Offline EternalEyes

• Concept Artist
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • EternalEyes has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 18:24:16 »
Although you are right that development has dropped off a bit in general, for me, and a lot of the members (who are still in education) this is largely due to it really being crunch time in terms of exams. This has a knock on effect - as when members see less work being done they in turn have less motivation to get work done themselves, and thus little gets completed as a whole. There are also other members, who have personal or work related issues, for instance our new UI developer got a kidney stone and was thus unable to complete the initial new UI mockup that was set for him, which was also meant to be the visual benchmark for the next stage of the website design. Vreg is the main component in this obviously as project lead, and with him really underestimating how much his job would take out of him in weekdays, he currently only has the weekend available for development. This is something Vreg freely realizes and acknowledges and is something we are discussing in how he is going to have to free up more time. Obviously the general pace of development is unacceptable right now considering the array of talent we have in the team currently thanks to Saitou.

However, to get to your comment about 15 minutes per day, if you have any experience with any type of development or work in general, it simply is pointless to work that amount of time, you will have barely sat down to work by the time your 'development period' is over. To get any real work done you have to sit down for a few hours at a time, and naturally that is not something most of us can do consistently at the moment, as it will have negative impacts on our other work. We will have to wait to see how this changes over the coming months. Personally, once ive finished my exams after June, i have the next year totally free to work on concepts for the game, and im sure lots of the members will have similar situations in being more free after exams.

Until then, EE signing out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 18:29:02 by EternalEyes »
  • Character Name: EternalEyes

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 18:35:25 »

If you have made a game, I will take your opinion on board and say "Okay." as well as the anonymous interviewees too. If not though, nor even tried. I am going to have to smh at your comments about the progression. Making a game is not easy. More so with a small team. Whilst SLO does well to recruit people, you have to understand not all people will give their time for free to get the project on the road. Nor should they.

As for your 15mins a day theory, I am going to have to say I disagree. Say they did 15 minutes a day, that could be slower than when they get a whole day to put in one day that makes up for the days they couldn't. What my point here is that you can't say it would be faster without knowing how much they do right now.

Progress doesn't show for many theoretical reasons other than "Laziness"; Which seems to be a common choice by many. It could be the fact that they worked on several jutsu but did not go through with them because of coding bugs or the fact it didn't fit. Maybe they found there is important things needed to be fixed server side or even more important back-end things needed to be made prior to getting some colorful jutsu out.

What a lot of you need to realise is that the thing we have now is not meant to be the MMO. Not by a long shot. It is something they made and add to now and then to keep us entertained whilst they work on the actual project. Yes, some stuff in the current thing we have now will help move the project forward such as buildings that we get to test and MAYBE the jutsu (IF no trademark on them. we may get a whole different lot of jutsu.)

There is so much more to making a game then the stuff you actually see and the back-end stuff is hard as fuck to do. You fix one bug and it could create 5 more out of no where and that's just the coding side of back-end; It's hard work. So unless you actually comprehend what goes into getting an MMO project off the ground, don't try to complain about progression. Because the stuff we have right now? Is not the MMO they are developing but a thing they gift to us to tryout in a sandbox which we should be happy they even do whilst working on the game itself.

To sum up: Stop bitching unless you know what you are talking about and find other things to do if you are bored with what the sandbox has for now.
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai