Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64525
Latest: .xxathenaxx
New This Month: 46
New This Week: 70
New Today: 20
Stats
Total Posts: 77600
Total Topics: 23090
Most Online Today: 1406
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 1386
Total: 1399
.xxathenaxx
Terryrob
Eddieoveme
Google (AdSense)
Google (9)

Author Topic: Character's names  (Read 9408 times)

Offline Konohuro

Character's names
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:04:15 »
I thougt at the name problem and it came up in my mind this idea that will make the game more realistic but I think that will only suit the rp server.
Here it is: no-one can see other players names. He can find out his name only by rping. After you found out shinobi's name, you add him to your friends list with the name that he told you. This way, a rogue can use differenr names keeping his iddentity hidden, just like would happen in a shinobi universe. After you associated a name to that shinobi, the name that you have introduced will be displaied above shinobi's head. However, between the members of the same village, the name should appear automatically (the real one). Tell me what you think guys. I didn't thought too much about this system as it came after night, so I couldn't find a problem yet :)

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
Re: Character's names
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:31 »
This is a pretty effective system, as if you're a rogue ninja you don't want to have a nametag shouting hi I'm here and I'm a famous rogue ninja.
You'll actually be able to cover your identity
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline m4r1us

• Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • m4r1us has no influence.
  • Why be a king when you can be a god? Pride.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kirishima Clan

• Organization: Katakiuchi

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:56:25 »
In my opinion concealing one's name should be done through hooded cloaks and masks, at least on the non-RP servers. Of course, not everyone would normally know one's name in real life, but you can expect people of the Hidden Village you were once part of (if you're a rogue) to have data on you. It's like population evidence. They could also share this data with other villages if you're a dangerous one, like the Leaf had to do with Sasuke when Cloud nins were hunting for him.

However, your idea would work on RP servers as you said, since metagaming won't play a role in those.
Warning: Beware of the BBB!

Tokyo Ghoul          Claymore          Deadman Wonderland

Offline json243

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • json243 has no influence.
  • Mars is a nuub
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 17:56:33 »
I thougt at the name problem and it came up in my mind this idea that will make the game more realistic but I think that will only suit the rp server.
Here it is: no-one can see other players names. He can find out his name only by rping. After you found out shinobi's name, you add him to your friends list with the name that he told you. This way, a rogue can use differenr names keeping his iddentity hidden, just like would happen in a shinobi universe. After you associated a name to that shinobi, the name that you have introduced will be displaied above shinobi's head. However, between the members of the same village, the name should appear automatically (the real one). Tell me what you think guys. I didn't thought too much about this system as it came after night, so I couldn't find a problem yet :)
Wow you did some deep thinking. I like it
  • Character Name: Hachemon Akagi (Kano)

Offline AncientScout7

• Academy Student Poster
  • AncientScout7 has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 18:12:31 »
I always tought it would be cool if you had to recongize a player of how he/she looks not the name.It would add soo much realsim and it will be cool too.Cloaks shouldnt hide your name but hide your face
  • Character Name: Ancient

Offline Konohuro

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 18:50:55 »
I always tought it would be cool if you had to recongize a player of how he/she looks not the name.It would add soo much realsim and it will be cool too.Cloaks shouldnt hide your name but hide your face

This is something really hard to be done as there should be put a lot of work in character creation (I would say so much work that it becomes impossible to be done). Is very hard because you can never imitate exactly the reality. Sometimes, even in real life it happens to mix up persons because they can look similar, but just think how different are the people as on the whole planet are 7 billion people and all different. To make your idea real, the creators of the game should create at least as many face features as in real life. Now think if this is possible.

Offline Konohuro

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 18:55:11 »
Sorry for the double post but I come up with a modification to the initial suggestion: the name will never be dissplaied above player's head as this can reveal his position while eventually hiding. You can't see someone's name unless you place your mouse-arrow on him. Something similar is in WoW- when you do this, in the bottom left part of the screen appears a small squere with his personal information like: name,country,class,race etc.

Offline Tasty

• Academy Student Poster
  • Tasty has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:36:46 »
I'm not too sure about this, yet it has a good concept, but think of a game the size of world of warcraft (hoping it would possibly come to this point) but everyone running around with the same name may be confusing. Personally, I would aim for making a name for myself in the community, and i wouldn't want my name being stolen from impostors. know what i mean?

Offline Vreg

• CEO/Lead Software Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.Vreg has an aura about them.
  • I run this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:26:30 »
I'm not too sure about this, yet it has a good concept, but think of a game the size of world of warcraft (hoping it would possibly come to this point) but everyone running around with the same name may be confusing. Personally, I would aim for making a name for myself in the community, and i wouldn't want my name being stolen from impostors. know what i mean?
@Tasty, In SLO, the only way to uniquely identify someone is by looking at their username. This will be possible by hovering your mouse over their character name. It goes without saying that if their character name is hidden, their username won't be visible either. Because of this, people won't talk about one famous Makoto Shinkai, but about one famous Makoto Shinkai (RainLover2013).
  • Character Name: Vuregu

Offline Tasty

• Academy Student Poster
  • Tasty has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:28:50 »
@Vreg Just played the test gameplay. Absolutely awesome so far.