Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64443
Latest: Elmerpeary
New This Month: 312
New This Week: 73
New Today: 8
Stats
Total Posts: 76521
Total Topics: 22106
Most Online Today: 1377
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 1367
Total: 1378

Author Topic: Hit point debate  (Read 11096 times)

Offline lollernoob9

• Temari Sennin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • lollernoob9 has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Amigake
  • Organization: Jyuunishin-Niwatori
Re: Hit point debate
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 17:49:05 »
sorry for the short post, but taijutsu users will likely learn a way to hit the enemies' limbs/ block at a point that isnt the weapon if its timed right.  if someone is wildly slashing to overwhelm you, blocking wont be good unless you have reflexes. ( this should go in the blocking topic lol )
  • Character Name: Shishida Amigake
A danger foreseen is half avoided.

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Tameshi Hinode has no influence.
  • See trough the darkness.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode

• Organization: Midori Ken
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 18:57:08 »
and lollernoob brings up a good point lets not forget that there other ways of dealing with a
attack than simply relying on your stamina to endure it.

The problem is,that it would simply be unfair if there is passive resistance for some fighting styles/chakra natures,but not for others,just to keep it realistic.
If we talk about anime realism and not about real life realism,there wouldnt be a real need for resistance anyway.
But its a good idea.
So what i was tryint to say with the wall running and fire breathing was,that sometimes,you have to abandon realism for the sake of a enjoyable and balanced game.

• Character Name: Tameshi Hinode

Offline Konohuro

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 19:09:37 »
@Konohuro
when you talk about endurance you are talking about stamina. this game has that.

so @Mars

your idea has the most merit yet. in my opinion. training stamina would increase your endurance to some forms or attack specifically taijutsu, however not to lightning or bladed attacks

Stamina has absolutely nothing to do with endurance/resistance. Stamina is your physical energy while endurance/resistance is your capability to cash hits. You may be out of energy but still be able to carry a bunch of punch in your face. You may have a lot of energy, be able to perform 200 punches one after another but if you get 2 punches in the chest you get KO. So no, stamina is not the same thing as resistance.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 20:16:09 »
@Konohuro

but how do you represent endurance then?? when i suggested stamina what i meant was the STAT of physical energy and you that train your endurance based on a % of your max Physical energy(PE)

for example lest say you have a PE of 1000 that you have trained to this point
.1% basic endurance  would be 10 the incoming punch dose 100 damage
you cant block it you would take 90 damage.

any physical ability will build you PE stat. and by training endurance you can further increase the damage reduction.

you may still have 500 life points from when you start
but you could end up potentially enduring much more damage then that through training.

this would automatically introduce a effect of fatigue in battle as well.
because the more you use PE based attacks. the lower the damage reduction.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 20:38:52 by cmsurfer »

Offline lollernoob9

• Temari Sennin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 20:40:45 »
You mean the amount of stamina you have adds a % of tha value as resistance? Imo feel that would make taijutsu/kenjutsu/shuriken tanks.

While there should also be chakra based techniques that deflect collision, fights will never be perfectly balanced because different shinobi are different. Chakra natures will make opponents that dont use the same techniques, and taijutsu/kenjutsu/freerunners would be able to take more damage then ninjutsu based opponents using that stamina %

There will probably be ninja techniques that require more chakra than you begin the game with, and if you train other things, there is no way you can use them unless you change your training.

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 20:46:38 »
no because ninjutsu and genjutsu use chakra that is made up from PE and spirit energy(SE) they must use it to if they want to attack and i would submit that some taijutsu has a greater effect on the opponent's PE reserves. and some like gentle fist can attack a players SE reserves.(although i think it was said there wont be gentle fist)

this entire game can be built off of only 3 STAT values PE SE and chakra control CC

this is starting to move toward my other Topic though of Chakra control system STATS

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 22:02:08 by cmsurfer »

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 23:40:25 »
sometimes when im home alone i cover myself in Vaseline and pretend im a slug
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline limits

• Jonin Poster
  • limits has no influence.
  • pls no hate
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Yaiken
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 00:16:52 »
k
  • Character Name: Kiyashe

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 01:02:38 »
i think that's the way everyone knows there's a community consensus on the topic
lol
so resistants to limit damage to static life points.

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 08:01:46 »
i think that's the way everyone knows there's a community consensus on the topic
lol

what u saying bout my friend limits!?!?
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline Nova

• Community Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Nova has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 15:22:33 »
lol

what u saying bout my friend limits!?!?

Aren't you too busy roleplaying as a slug to even notice that post :x

Offline lollernoob9

• Temari Sennin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 18:21:33 »
lol! Ask-a-Mod when you see them around, or by pm, if you want a little better picture of what is planned. I was looking at the faq, didnt really have something about it.

Offline Dragon6624

• Jonin Poster
  • Dragon6624 has no influence.
  • True art is a....[WIP]
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Kurohasu
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 20:40:16 »
if you start with 500 life points
you will still have 500 life points at jonin or kaga levels

survivability at higher levels should not come from being able to take  multiple powerful attack because you have 300% of the life points you started with, but should be based on the skills and abilities you train your character in and the squad you work with(if any!! i know any medical or genjutsu user will want to be)

one would obviously expect more damage out of higher level jutsu so with static hit points this leads to the possibility of a one hit KO.

No, you shouldn't gain hitpoints. But you should gain resistance, which will stop you taking as much damage.
It's essentially the same thing.

The resistance to bladed attacks are blocking with metal ninja tools, armor, and of course, your own sword if you use one. Lightning is just chakra, so youll need to be prepared for the attack, and have a game plan for dealing with such things, If you use windstyle, a higher level jutsu might be in order.

Being able to raise your hitpoints sounds like a lazy way of blanket-raising your resistance to everything -- or at the broadest, your ability to take damage. I agree that hitpoints represent your character's life -- aka their closeness to death. A full HP bar would mean you're in excellent health, with the opposite of that meaning you're absolutely dead. Trampolining off of Mars, it makes *some* sense that you would need to gain resistance or defence in order to better take or absorb damage. However, I believe this taken on its own is flawed, and for this reason I'll continue by paraphrasing lollernoob9's reply in that you should use jutsu to defend against other justu, and armor to defend against regular weapons.

In my own opinion, 'resistances' should be things you can build immunities against -- so for example, protection against poison via Mithridatism. A biological resistance--especially an abnormally high one, which is what you'd need in these cases--to the elements is often seen in fiction, but it's a very tricky subject in reality(due to the variety of external factors that come into play: the temperature, your clothes, how exposed to the elements you are), and hard to pin down to one sole reason because of it. Since this is the case, I think it would be fair to have a player's defence to jutsu be based on their skill and skillsets -- or what they specialize in and how clever they are on the battlefield. If we want this game to be based around the skill of the players, we probably shouldn't give them the ability to cover their all of their blindspots -- they should learn to work around those weaknesses and adapt to the needs of the situation. If you don't have the jutsu necessary to neutralize or overcome an enemy's jutsu attack, you need to boogey out or approach the situation from a different angle, not rush in and absorb that just because you:

"Spent days in the mountains, learning to be one with the cold -- and thereby magically gaining a resistance to it because....?"

In the same way, armor or reactionary prowess (dodging or blocking) should be the determining factor in whether or not regular weapons affect your character -- not some absurd ability to absorb damage "Because I did 50 bench-presses bro, deal with it."

A buff fellow may be buff, but a spear through his heart is still going to finish him. If we could stick to that, we could go even further than Naruto has -- because in the light of reality, a lot of Naruto deaths are averted simply via the Heroic spotlight for main characters, while others die in situations they--by those same rules--should've been able to avoid. Keep people Naturally on the same level -- let them change up the playing field by utilizing different tools/strategies.

Too tired to continue thinking on the subject, see what you guys can come up with.
  • Character Name: Shingen Kajahara
.   .   .   .   .   .   .Valued Virtues.   .   .   .   .   .
  ~{Empathy, Confidence, Wisdom and Wit}~
.   .   .   .   .   .   .~~~~~~~~~.   .   .   .   .   .

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 21:49:53 »
@dragon6624

Im with you...but as has been brought to my attention some things in naruto just would not make for fun game play.
with permadeath a option.. and for realism and fun game play.. one hit kills posabule it would lead to a lot of ambushes that you could not prepare for or avoid. and if you lost your character with out a chance to fight or escape,no one would want to play the game.    resistance will not stop damage and would not make you invincible to attacks just give you a fighting chance in this case.the training for it is should be intense and bring you to the brink of death each time. there are ways to stop weapon attacks all together so resistance need not apply to them. but in less you specialize in weapon attacks(and even if you do) a one hit kill should not be possible. the other thing is armer dose exist in naruto in the form of a thin chain mesh. just enough to call it resistance to weapon damage. it would take a lot of force to push a spear through your body waiting one of those.

on top of all this there are medical ninja med kits and food pills that are all cannon to the naruto universe. this is why everyone agreed on resistance.

Offline json243

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • json243 has no influence.
  • Mars is a nuub
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 21:52:02 »
All these posts are too long. Not even my textbooks are this long............ UGGGGGGHHHHHHH
  • Character Name: Hachemon Akagi (Kano)

Recent Topics

Top Posters

Mars
Reminance
Shivraj
m4r1us
Manuster
NinjaMirage
Nova
taigakun
Fraudulent