Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 64511
Latest: Eddieoveme
New This Month: 32
New This Week: 56
New Today: 13
Stats
Total Posts: 77577
Total Topics: 23068
Most Online Today: 1321
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 1153
Total: 1162
Google (9)

Author Topic: Hobbyist and Professionalism - Intertwined Systems  (Read 6378 times)

Offline mordredeon

• Genin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • mordredeon has no influence.
  • Your friendly village writer
    • View Profile
Hobbyist and Professionalism - Intertwined Systems
« on: August 10, 2015, 17:35:01 »
Today I'll be talking to you guys about two very intriguing systems that I originally thought up a while back for potential DLC-like Skyrim expansions that would add an unparalleled level of immersion to the game. Immersion is always something that has interested me in video games, it adds a level of detail that just isn't available in other games. This immersion also adds a realism factor, something that we are seeking out in Shinobi Life Online so that we can simulate, well, Shinobi life. On top of that it just simply gives the game a kind of uniqueness not available in any other games. That's what I'm seeking out with my two possible future feates, I'm seeking out the capacity for our game to be unique. It's important to me that we achieve this because at its current stage the game has the capacity to be so much more than anyone has imagined.

I want the game to draw people in and that's why I'm introducing you guys to Hobbyist first, Hobbyist being a system I hope to build the other feature in here off of. Hobbyist changes everything for a game, it lets your character do things you can't normally do in games and use human interface devices to do so. By moving your mouse, or using a specialized glove that interacts with your computer, you are able to simulate a wide range of things that you just can't simulate in other games. You can cut someone's hair in real time and watch the pieces fall to the ground, and while the programming skill required for this would be enormous we have a highly talented team. It's this kind of technology that I want to see implemented into the game, for this kind of technology can be patented and make Vreg Industries all that much more industry-changing.

Lastly in this episode of Mordredeon's dreams that could be brought to reality we have Professionalism, something that pairs with Hobbyist perfectly. Professionalism is a system that provides the experience of your character actually having a job in a way that is fun and not begrudging. It may or may not add mini-games to make things funner, and allow you to better equip your character with life-effecting skills. By intertwining with my proposed skill system, Sukiru, Professionalism and Hobbyist help make the game all that better and provide a fully satisfying experience that makes you hungry for more at the same time.You have to remember that we are actually living the life of a Shinobi or even a civilian through this game and that is what makes us special.

Thanks for tuning in for today, and I hope that you guys enjoyed this little suggestion of mine!

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
Re: Hobbyist and Professionalism - Intertwined Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 17:49:44 »
SLO DLC: Barber Expansion.

In all seriousness though, I do not see this being a popular feature for an MMO. If you have ever played an MMO you will know that there is three styles of gamer.
1. The PvPer - This is the type of gamer that seeks battling and being the #1 in player vs player combat. He takes stats seriously and will make a character build strictly based on power for versing another player.
2. The PvEr - Someone who takes skills in the game to take on bosses, quests or to battle NPCs.
3. The RPer - Someone who script fights and goes into detail of the theme of the game (In this case, Ninja RP) living the life of a shinobi from said theme.

Now you could say your suggestion of getting a job and a hobby such as being a hairdresser could relate to 3 and fall under RP. Though, as this is a Naruto inspired MMO the RPers will most likely RP roles from the actual anime. This would include being a Ninja, Kage, Chef or Rogue. I can't see someone going into a game called 'Shinobi Life Online' and saying "This is sweet! I'm going to be a lawyer! Where is the Law School Skill?" or "This is sweet! I'm going to hobby as a stamp collector! Now where is the list of stamps within this game?!"

As great as your suggestion is for the realism of the gloves that you can use (I know they're being created alongside Oculus and that mat/shoes thing) and the SLO staff do plan on adding those features in for combat gaming but they will not be adding these features so people can cut hair in game to a realistic level. In fact, I don't know any gamer who plays games to do such real life tasks. If said person wants to become a hairdresser they can get a real job as that and earn real money for doing it. There would be no need to simulate that far into a life of a shinobi as an MMORPG game is meant to let you escape life and be something you can't be in reality such as a ninja/wizard/warrior or any other genre of game out there.
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline mordredeon

• Genin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 18:23:41 »

In all seriousness though, I do not see this being a popular feature for an MMO. If you have ever played an MMO you will know that there is three styles of gamer.
1. The PvPer - This is the type of gamer that seeks battling and being the #1 in player vs player combat. He takes stats seriously and will make a character build strictly based on power for versing another player.
2. The PvEr - Someone who takes skills in the game to take on bosses, quests or to battle NPCs.
3. The RPer - Someone who script fights and goes into detail of the theme of the game (In this case, Ninja RP) living the life of a shinobi from said theme.

Now you could say your suggestion of getting a job and a hobby such as being a hairdresser could relate to 3 and fall under RP. Though, as this is a Naruto inspired MMO the RPers will most likely RP roles from the actual anime. This would include being a Ninja, Kage, Chef or Rogue. I can't see someone going into a game called 'Shinobi Life Online' and saying "This is sweet! I'm going to be a lawyer! Where is the Law School Skill?" or "This is sweet! I'm going to hobby as a stamp collector! Now where is the list of stamps within this game?!"

As great as your suggestion is for the realism of the gloves that you can use (I know they're being created alongside Oculus and that mat/shoes thing) and the SLO staff do plan on adding those features in for combat gaming but they will not be adding these features so people can cut hair in game to a realistic level. In fact, I don't know any gamer who plays games to do such real life tasks. If said person wants to become a hairdresser they can get a real job as that and earn real money for doing it. There would be no need to simulate that far into a life of a shinobi as an MMORPG game is meant to let you escape life and be something you can't be in reality such as a ninja/wizard/warrior or any other genre of game out there.

Those were just can example, these would be more realistic for a game like for farmers in-game and ninja sharpening their weapons, and similar things.

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 18:37:24 »

Those were just can example, these would be more realistic for a game like for farmers in-game and ninja sharpening their weapons, and similar things.
I don't think someone wants to be a farmer bud. As for the weapon sharpening, I think that was discussed already but it was the blacksmith skill.
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline limits

• Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • limits has no influence.
  • pls no hate
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Yaiken
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 18:51:36 »
11/10 i'll be a plastic surgeon, topkek
  • Character Name: Kiyashe

Offline mordredeon

• Genin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 19:10:35 »

I don't think someone wants to be a farmer bud. As for the weapon sharpening, I think that was discussed already but it was the blacksmith skill.

The hobbyist system is based around animations, and how do you expect this game to have a player run economy and barely any NPC's and not have a farmer to provide food and ingredients to players? You have to remember that the economy is important, and without a good economy backing it the Shinobi world could fall into nothingness. Perhaps there could be Shinobi farmers, who knows, but there are going to be professions other than Shinobi and you can't be too picky.

Edit: I understand now, maybe this was too dreamy...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 19:34:28 by mordredeon »

Offline ParadoxRonin

• Special Jonin Poster
  • ParadoxRonin has no influence.
  • Guardian Fang of the Hidden Metal Hayate Hazo
    • View Profile
    • a ronin has no purpose and a shinobi has no limits when the two clash time  it self stops.
  • Clan: Hazo Leader
  • Organization: Ronin-Metal
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 19:26:52 »
I think there should be a story that we all follow only in real time. Meaning no mission are redo-able they are all real time so if you are not there then you  missout.
LONG LIVE THE HAZO

Offline mordredeon

• Genin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 19:33:43 »
I think there should be a story that we all follow only in real time. Meaning no mission are redo-able they are all real time so if you are not there then you  missout.

Uhm, this has nothing to do with missions, and aren't all missions given out my the Kage?

*Waits for this to turn into the mission discussion thread.*

Offline Konohuro

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 19:38:57 »
You have a very nice idea but I think that is far fetched. It would be nice to have a large variety of options and paths in game but what you are saying would be Life Online.
I don't think people will join Shinobi Life online to become a farmer or something else. Let's keep the things in Shinobi sphere rather than in Life sphere.
For example Mars's Ramen Shop, where you still are a shinobi but you still can have like a part-time job. Same with medics, police, ANBU org. and more others can be add in the future, but all having the "shinobi thing" as it's main pillar.

I think Leebz tried to say the same thing.

Offline mordredeon

• Genin Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 19:40:21 »
You have a very nice idea but I think that is far fetched. It would be nice to have a large variety of options and paths in game but what you are saying would be Life Online.
I don't think people will join Shinobi Life online to become a farmer or something else. Let's keep the things in Shinobi sphere rather than in Life sphere.
For example Mars's Ramen Shop, where you still are a shinobi but you still can have like a part-time job. Same with medics, police, ANBU org. and more others can be add in the future, but all having the "shinobi thing" as it's main pillar.

I think Leebz tried to say the same thing.

Yeah, that's what would want if it were toned down a bit. Maybe you can be a farmer but you're also a Shinobi with plant-related Jutsu or some crap like that. Thanks for your input mate, and you're right about it.

Offline StrawHatSeyi

• Genin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • StrawHatSeyi has no influence.
  • You don't want no smoke
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 23:33:36 »
I think there should only be like 3 to 5 professions other than being a Shinobi

Fisherman
Cook/Ramen Cook
Blacksmith
Rower
Etc
  • Character Name: Tenzo Himitsu

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 01:11:25 »
I have to agree with Konohuro and Leebz here.
Why should i want to be a barber in a game while i could be an awesome kickass shinobi?
Although it is a cool idea but just not for this game.
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Kayleb

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Kayleb has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Himitsu
  • Organization: Roguhanta

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 18:50:52 »
I don't think there should be a job system, but I think that farming, constructing, trading etc. should be a thing, like it is in Archeage. However, if it is too complicated, I'd rather just do it without
  • Character Name: Dawg

Offline ParadoxRonin

• Special Jonin Poster
  • ParadoxRonin has no influence.
  • Guardian Fang of the Hidden Metal Hayate Hazo
    • View Profile
    • a ronin has no purpose and a shinobi has no limits when the two clash time  it self stops.
  • Clan: Hazo Leader
  • Organization: Ronin-Metal
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 18:40:07 »
Well because some people don't want to fight don't tell me you never wanted to be the rower in naruto
LONG LIVE THE HAZO