Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 65381
Latest: VanitaWdi
New This Month: 902
New This Week: 354
New Today: 74
Stats
Total Posts: 79662
Total Topics: 23871
Most Online Today: 1864
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 1455
Total: 1473

Author Topic: No player location on map  (Read 4060 times)

Offline rayzote

• Chunin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • rayzote has no influence.
  • I miss living in town :/
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
No player location on map
« on: January 25, 2015, 00:24:44 »
Some people may not be agree with me but I think if the game is going to be a challenge and realistic; player location should not be showed on the world/village map. You would have to guide yourself by the characteristics of the environment in the outside world, maybe you could have a compass on the UI to help you which i think is also a good idea if such thing is in the game.

But if you're a GM, and you're looking for a player for some reason you can write a command, and your map is going to show the location of the player (or something different). Since i think is more complex to make this only for GMs maybe you could find another way to find those players, you could also implement coordinates into the game, and such command will show you the coordinates of the player.

• Character Name: rayzote

Offline Raenir

• Chunin Donator
  • Genin Poster
  • Raenir has no influence.
  • Recruiting for Kurohasu!
    • View Profile
Re: No player location on map
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 00:55:36 »
I think maybe if this was applied to the "Hardcore/Perma-Death" difficulty of the game, then it has some potential. But i feel as a new game and with no one knowing exactly what they are doing it might prove to be a little difficult and frustrating to players rather than a necessarily fun challenge. Maybe you could have something like you have to be completely still to see where you are on the map, since realistically if you could have your map open while running then that'd be difficult to read, and it could encompass your whole screen leaving you vulnerable to attack. In that case you could say like no mini maps for location. So the only way to see your location would be the previously mentioned method of standing still. That's just my input on it. :)
  • Character Name: Yoru Kusemono

Offline rayzote

• Chunin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:39:20 »
I think maybe if this was applied to the "Hardcore/Perma-Death" difficulty of the game, then it has some potential. But i feel as a new game and with no one knowing exactly what they are doing it might prove to be a little difficult and frustrating to players rather than a necessarily fun challenge. Maybe you could have something like you have to be completely still to see where you are on the map, since realistically if you could have your map open while running then that'd be difficult to read, and it could encompass your whole screen leaving you vulnerable to attack. In that case you could say like no mini maps for location. So the only way to see your location would be the previously mentioned method of standing still. That's just my input on it. :)

I personally don't find interesting your idea, but i understand you tried to adapt it to the actual plan of the game(thanks for that) since I completely forgot about the mini map,you're right, a no player location mode would not have mini maps, because it would basically show your location (duh). Mmmh.....Although as you said this could maybe fit into the Hardcore difficult, therefore Hardcore difficult wouldn't have mini maps, instead of the mini maps it would have the compass.

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 04:41:02 »
I dislike this idea completely. I don't wanna spend my time in game trying to figure out where I am and where I want to go, spending hours figuring it all out. I rather know where I am and what shit is around me but I do see why you may find such a thing fun, but I just disagree with that being fun.
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline rayzote

• Chunin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:39:12 »
I dislike this idea completely. I don't wanna spend my time in game trying to figure out where I am and where I want to go, spending hours figuring it all out. I rather know where I am and what shit is around me but I do see why you may find such a thing fun, but I just disagree with that being fun.

Oh :( you no fun :P
jk.. but i don't know haha there are games that don't even have a map and you would actually have to explore to learn paths for destinations, i bet there will be roads, but it'll most likely full of rogue ninjas.
However each village's land will have different environment and also you will be able to see far away since the maps will not be divided, i think you wouldn't really get lost unless you go across the continent. So if you see snow,lava,metallic structures, lots of trees, that would help you locate yourself, maybe a more detailed world map would be helpful. I think is a realistic touch to the game, but there is nothing wrong with the mini map anyway...

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Shivraj has no influence.
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:48:53 »
You're just making hardcore more and more hardcore :(
  • Character Name: Kazuki Raiu

Offline Xendrus...

• Community Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Xendrus... has no influence.
  • Stop it, you're breaking my immersion!
    • View Profile
  • Organization: 『  』
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:30:20 »
It's called maps. Make people buy maps, the more detailed/larger map the more expensive. There's no need to show other on the minimap.
The only thing the minimap neeps is yourself and the base outline of your surrounding environment. If you're too lazy to find your friend then it sucks to suck. At least you know where each other are. Increase your stamina as you run yourself over to your friend you lazy bum.
  • Character Name: Xendrus...

Offline rayzote

• Chunin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 09:58:43 »
It's called maps. Make people buy maps, the more detailed/larger map the more expensive. There's no need to show other on the minimap.
The only thing the minimap neeps is yourself and the base outline of your surrounding environment. If you're too lazy to find your friend then it sucks to suck. At least you know where each other are. Increase your stamina as you run yourself over to your friend you lazy bum.

Yeah, i mean if coordinates could be implemented in the game and you have a detailed map you could look at your surroundings estimate your location and if you wanna find a friend just ask him "What are you coordinates", then you go the direction your friend is to, and actually differences in environment and the compass doesn't really sound really painful to me. You would just need to get the hang of it. I say @Vreg  should think about this and maybe test it at some point.

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 14:39:32 »
That will require us to use landmarks, no? If yes then every tree/other surroundings can't be the same and well it will make it more realistic so I guess I am neutral to it ;)

Offline rayzote

• Chunin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 18:40:45 »
That will require us to use landmarks, no? If yes then every tree/other surroundings can't be the same and well it will make it more realistic so I guess I am neutral to it ;)

The problem is that, is hard to say, i don't know the size of the continent, i'd be hard to make a detailed map of a bigass continent and try to estimate you location, unless you could zoom it. And about the landmarks, well yeah but not many i mean, landmarks, the compass and differences in environment  should be enough to make an estimation of your location. As i said a fun challenge, and people would get the hang of it,  it'd be pretty much an original gameplay. But we're just talking about it, we don't really know how painful i'd be unless we test it.

Offline Leebz

• Cursed Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Leebz has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
    Yoru
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 22:03:39 »
Honestly? I'd rather have a normal map, that tells me where I am and where the villages are at. If I wanted to be a cub scout using compasses and rabbit droppings to find out where I am I would of joined the cub scouts in real life xD
  • Character Name: Onimaro Nakai

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:11 »
What could be done is that there should be an option to turn it on and off so someone who doesn't want it can turn it off and someone that wants it can turn it on ;) so there's no need to force a system on people that they don't like

Offline Azarf

• Academy Student Poster
  • Azarf has no influence.
  • The will of water
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 16:23:52 »
imo this should be in Hardcore/Perma-Death , because getting lost is dam real :b (i get lost alot ahah)
  • Character Name: Azarf